New plug wires, but got them confused. 4.3 volvo-penta

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer
2003 Glastron GX185 with Volvo Penta 4.3GL. 185 hours never had a tune up.

So new plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, etc.

But in the process of re-wiring it, I found that I used too long a wire and swapped it with a shorter one, and did this a couple times, and now not sure if I have them all in the right place or not.

Where is #1 on distributor, and which way does rotor spin (clock or counterclock)?

I know the firing order and can re-route them if I now this.

Or if anyone has a diagram?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New plug wires, but got them confused. 4.3 volvo-penta

If the distributor has never been removed and put back in the wrong location, the picture below shows the location, rotation, and firing order.
If you aren't sure about the distributor location, you will need to find #1 TDC on the compression stroke like this http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=427081

Then you will know for sure where #1 is and can follow the firing order from there.

Attachments

• Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 19

scooper77515

I have gone through the first owner's maintenance receipts and see no ignition repairs. So I am assuming it is all set up with original parts and in original location.

It ran GREAT, but I figured it would only run better if it had new parts, and after pulling the first plug...:eek:

So it got all new everything.

Thanks for the pic! That is how I have it routed, I just wasnt sure about the direction of firing.

scooper77515

Got parts from Autozone. 7mm wires instead of 8mm, will that be a problem?

scooper77515

Well, it started right up and ran GREAT all day long. So I guess i got those wires hooked back up right.

I did have 1 and 5 crossed, as I originally suspected. Got them swapped back before I started it.