Volvo-Penta SX Cobra waterpump

davidedgar

Cadet
I need help locating a suitable mounting bracket for a V-belt driven Volvo-Penta water pump Part# 3851700. The pump and bracket I have came off a 464 cu.in. Chevy. I am mounting it on a 460 cu.in OMC (Ford). This is necessary to complete the OMC King Cobra to Volvo-Penta SX Cobra sterndrive changeover on my boat. I have contacted every Volvo-Penta dealer by email in the state of Florida with no replies. Please Help.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo-Penta SX Cobra waterpump

You have to check to see if volvo ever used the SX drive with the Ford 460. I know they used the Chevy 454 with it, but I have not heard of a Ford 460 with the Volvo SX. Check through the diagrams on doug russell marine to see if you can find a bracket that will work or can be modified to fit. This may have to be a custom job. You might want to ask George Van Parys over on Boatered.com to see what he thinks.

davidedgar

Cadet

Thanks for the prompt response. I have learned that this Volvo-Penta SX Cobra setup is sold as an "upgrade" but I can't determine as an "upgrade" from WHAT???????? All I know is there is a "crankshaft driven" external waterpump available from V-P and from a company called "Sierra" but this won't work in my case because there isn't room in the engine compartment for that pump to bolt onto my crankshaft.

davidedgar

Cadet

For "whatever reason" I can't "Post a New Topic" on Boatered.com. I really need the help of someone familiar with a Ford 460cu.in.(7.5L) engine and also with the V-belt driven Volvo-Penta water pump I have (V-P Part# 3851700). It is hard for me to believe that this conversion hasn't been done before because of the "ease" of bolting up the V-P SX Cobra sterndrive to my engine. Also, all the parts problems that OMC has and Volvo-Penta does not have. Suggestions Please.

Last edited by a moderator:

davidedgar

Cadet

OK, Guys I got a couple Volvo-Penta Part #'s. I was given Part # 3855640 & 3855702 as V-P Part #'s for the bracket for the pump I have if it was to be mounted on a "351" Ford. Mine is a "460" Ford will It fit????? Mine is a "stock" engine with only an alternator and power steering pump.