1992 volvo fuel/oil out of exhaust

nikk

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone im new to this its great!!! i have a 1992 volvo 131AQ Anyways lately i was operating my boat and it over heated and stalled and fuel and oil came out of exhaust i fixed the overheating but there is still an oil slick following us around the lake i was told by a machanic its alright!! should i be concered???? also if my plugs were bad would unburned fuel leak though exhaust.. :rolleyes:

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1992 volvo fuel/oil out of exhaust

If your overheat got to en extent where the head gasket blew, you'll get oil and coolant mixed - and oil will show behind the boat as it is emitted with the cooling water.<br /><br />This is not a good sign - remove the plugs and check for water in cylinders and get a compression check and check for visible leaks between head and block. <br />Do not run the engine until you know as you may add severely to the damage. <br /><br />Depending on what happened you could be facing a new headgasket and maybe some head work.

nikk

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the reply the spark plugs need to be inspected anyways im going today!!! i really HOPE THERES NO WATER IN CYINDERS.would there be any symptoms of a worpted cylinder head.my engine starts fine and theres no smoke???? :rolleyes:

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

If you get uneven compression readings or if there is any sign of water in the oil ('mayonnaise'), that would suggest it too.<br /><br />As you appearantly get oil in the exhaust all the time, something is allowing oil to get into the water and that sounds like head gasket. A seized cylinder (or more) would make oil show in the exhaust too, but that is normally connected with heavy wear (unless you seized the whole thing by running it after it overheated.<br /><br />Anyway I'd suggest you remove the head to check it out - the cylinders and pistontops can by checked at the same time.<br /><br />All of this only applies if it's seawater-cooled? If it has a heat exchanger oil/water mix would only get to the cooling circuit - not out in the sea.

nikk

Seaman Apprentice

thanks i thought the oil was from exhaust but its from the drive seal under the cover on the outdrive im going to do a compression test anyways what would be good numbers for a inline 4 volvo :rolleyes: