Volvo not shifting

honeys money

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1998 Larson with a 135HP and SX-M out drive, my problem is, it is in forward, when you move the lever to reverse or neutral, it stays in forward. I looked at the bottom of the shifter and the shift cable does not seem to move, to make sure I jumped the neutral switch and sure enough it stays in forward, ran it around and throttle works fine. My question is how do you get the shift lever off, and take the rest apart.

honeys money

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Volvo not shifting

Still don't know how to get shift handle off, don't want to break it'.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Post a picture of your shifter. Impossible to know what control the manufacturer used.

honeys money

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Gee, finally got a camera to work, this is the one I want to get the lever off of, I think the cable or something came loose, drive stays in forward does not matter if in neutral or reverce, you can pull back on lever like in reverse and go 40 mph forward.

Ps; had to jump neutral switch to try out, what ever is broke is not tripping the switch.

Thanks, John

Attachments

• control.jpg
    control.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 0

Borchik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

take the cover off the neutral button, there is a nut in there, take that off, then the rest of the control box comes apart from the backside. sounds like a broken control cable. you can take the plastic cover off the top rear of the drive and see if the cable moves. if not the cable goes direct from the control box to the drive and it will have to be replaced.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

That is the old OMC style shifter that was used often in early Volvo SX years. If you do replace the shifter, you will have to replace both throttle and shift cables because the cable ends are OMC style at the control.

To make sure its not the drive or linkage at the drive, take the cover off the back of the drive(3 bolts) just to make sure what is happening back there.

honeys money

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey, thanks for the come-backs, but I don't think that center cap comes off, the one on the center of the lever. I tried to pull it off with a big screw driver, and it seems to be held on with something in the middle, here is another pic, that may help.

Attachments

• big control.jpg
    big control.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 0

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Looks like you can get to it from under the gunwale.

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It also looks like there is a relief for a screwdriver to go in about half way up the back side. Perhaps the cover will pop off giving you access to screws???

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Its been a long time since I had that control but i believe there is a set screw when looking up from the bottom of the handle. I also can't remember if the control is in neutral, forward or reverse to see it. take a look form the bottom and rotate the control until you cen see the set screw. Yyou will need an allen wrench to loosen it.

honeys money

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ha, Ha, still working on this controler, found a pic of it broken down, and looks like the button in the center pulls off and their is a screw in the center. Well I did that and all of a sudden it started working, so the cold start was stuck in, well now I don't know to trust it or not, it all looks so new and boat has very low hours on it, hard to think its worn out.:confused: