Volvo Penta AQ125a runs good - sputters - then won't start..

Status
Not open for further replies.

PitaBoat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1986 Intruder with a Volvo Penta AQ125a engine. Had problems with ingition coil last year - had it replaced at the shop. Cap, rotor and points look good. Had it on the water today for the first time this year. It ran well for about 10 min, then started sputtering and then just stopped. Could not get it restarted. Any thoughts??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta AQ125a runs good - sputters - then won't start..

Ever change fuel filters and check for water in the fuel?

Jolie Lynn

Seaman

Get rid of the points and get the Pertronix ignition. $100 and about 5 minutes to install. I had problems that simulated carb issues and had me pulling my hair out and throwing money at the carb when all it was, was a bad condensor which was new with the points and LOOKED fine. My engine would stall out at a certain rpm about 1700 and was next to impossible to start. Runs and starts much better and no more wondering or fiddling with moving points.
Good luck

chaparall villain 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

might also check hotspark.com .. electronic igniton conversion for about half that same basic thing i put it on aq125 i was working on ... didnt cure the stalling problem but it runs better when its running .... i then installed a new fuel pump , we took it out this weekend and it still did the same thing ... pulled the top off carb and the bowl was empty with the new pump but only after 25 minutes of it running fine ... so now i put a marine electric pump on it and i am going to try again ... i will let you know if this finally cures the problem as i know its agrevating we have tried for three trips to fix it and as of yet i am still at a loss but luckily i took my wife and boat for backup and we have had a tow boat for sure anyway ... i will keep you posted

PitaBoat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, still trying to solve this problem. Last year I had a fuel-water filter installed between the fuel tank and the fuel pump. Everything seemed to then work fine last season. Right away this season, however, it started up, ran for a bit and then stalled and would not start. Replaced 12-yr-old battery and have decided to replace old gas tank with Moeller tank - in the middle of this right now. I decided to replace the old fuel tank given I was told the old one most likely had residue in it that was being broken free by the ethanol in the newer fuel and the debris was causing problems in my fuel line. Not sure if this is all true, but decided to just replace the tank anyway.

Don S

May need a carb rebuild.

PitaBoat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
To close this issue out - I installed the new fuel tank and an in-line fuel filter and started using ethanol-free gas. Also installed an electronic ignition. Since doing these things, I have not had this issue. Well, there was that time that it wouldn't restart after taking a break in the middle of the Puget Sound, but I think that was a vapor-lock issue that was resolved after I disconnected and then reconnected the fuel lines going into and out of the pump.

Willaq125

Recruit
How are you I have a quick question. I have a 1983 Volvo penta aq125 I replaced fuel pump rebuild the carb installed a new distributor and even changed the battery and it still won't start and it does is crank and crank had a little smoke come out the exhaust and that was it can you please help!!!!

GA_Boater

Willaq - Please start a new thread of your own. You aren't even on topic in this old thread.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.