volvo 4.3 under heating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bardo

Cadet
I'm having a problem with underheating. The other day when we took it out we were running 175 degrees. The last time we went out it never got over 110. I figured the thermastat is stuck open but after looking at the configuration of the housing it seems like it's monitoring the frewsh water coming in and not the engine temp. Am I looking at this wrong? :confused:

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: volvo 4.3 under heating

Probably impellar blades stuck in thermostat. check impellar and thermostat.!!!!

Bardo

Cadet

Now if my impeller blades a stuck in there then I would not be bringing in fresh water to cool the engine would I? I assume you are talking about my raw water intake that pumps the water to the therm housing? If those impeller blades are stuck there then I should not be bringing fresh water in and should be overheating. Am I looking at this right?

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes and no all blades dont go at the same time,allthe time, id check both to make sure.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Probably impellar blades stuck in thermostat. check impellar and thermostat.!!!!
Think Rod means, that a piece of the impeller has come off the impeller itself, has made it's way to the thermostat - and is now stuck there, preventing the thermostat from closing properly...?

acboy

Cadet

I had the same problem and found 3 pieces stuck in small ports of the the thermostat housing. Once rubber pieces were removed, engine temperature problem was solved.

Remove all hoses from housing and poke with a screwdriver or awl. If you bottom out with rubber feeling, you have found rubber chunks.

Good Luck.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to iboats acboy.
Please use the archives for reading, not replying to.
I somehow suspect the original poster either fixed his problem or sold the boat since this thead is 7 years old. July 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.