2002 Volvo 4.3GL - Setting Base Timing

Status
Not open for further replies.

issanni

Recruit
I need to correct the screw up of a shop who set the timing wrong on my Volvo Penta 4.3GL when they did the 20hr service.<br /><br />The boat is stumbling off idle to any throttle level when the drive is in gear and engine is loaded. It also backfires like crazy now at any RPM especially around 3200. <br /><br />One of the things the mechanic did was adjust the timing after he told me it was off 6 degrees. :confused: <br /><br />I realize I need a shunt or Volvo's cable part number 885163-6 but could someone please elaborate on exactly what this is and if I can make one up myself.<br /><br />Also elaborate on the process of setting the base timing and do I need to set timing advance too? :confused:

McKenzie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2002 Volvo 4.3GL - Setting Base Timing

Can you take it back to the mechanic and demand he fix it?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I wouldn't run it until you are comfortable that the timing is set correctly. You can trash an engine quickly if it is set too far off.

issanni

Recruit

Hell no I wouldn't dare take it back to those jackasses and ask them to fix it.....if you only knew the whole story you'd know why. :eek: :mad: <br /><br />I've run the boat once this past weekend at the lake....I know enough about engines to know what will damage it from the ignition timing being off. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: <br /><br />Now can I get someone to give me an answer to my questions....as detailed as possible.

issanni

Recruit

Thanks. I've seen that and think I have a handle on setting the timing.<br /><br />My main remaining question is the shunt. Is it just wires? Can I "make" my own? Are there more than 3 pins in that connector? If so, which ones do I use?

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer

you should be able to get the plug from chevy dealer or napa or whoever. early 90's s-10 and rear drive compact vans used this distributor. junkyard?

issanni

Recruit

Well in trying to 'make' my own plug I zapped the timing module inside the distributor. Cost me $32 at Autozone to learn how not to hook up the wires. <br /><br />Just set the timing by ear and will run the boat at the lake to fine tune it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to iboats bjlwolf1

Best to start a new thread with your question, don't just post at the end of someone elses 6 year old thread.
Check with your local Volvo dealer for the part.

Status
Not open for further replies.