volvo penta sp trim troubles

chevz71

Cadet
I am new to boating, so bear with me, i recently purchased a 1993 excel 20 sx with a volvo 4.3 sp out drive. I noticed the last time i was out that the trim was bleeding off under acceleration. I pulled boat out and raised trim, within about an hour out drive was down all the way down. I've read a few similar post on here but i have 2 questions, i do not see any leakage around rams, i pulled trim motor out and noticed water in trim hoses and resevoir, if rams/cylinders are drawing in water shouldn't they be leaking out also?? second question, should there be an oring between power trim valve body and resevoir there wasnt one when i took it apart, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo penta sp trim troubles

Yes, there should be an oring between the reservoir and pump body.
With water in the reservoir, I would suggest you pull the pump and replace the oring, clean the milky oil out and empty the cylinders as much as possible by lifting and lowering the drive. Put new oil in and operate it a few times to bleed it out. May have to do that a couple of times to get the milky oil out.
It may be the water maybe a bit of dirt got into the relief valves in the pump. You can see the valves and the oring here.

chevz71

Cadet

thx for responding to my question, i have 1 more if u dont mind, is the resevoir cap supposed to have a pin hole in it? if its supposed to be sealed so there will be pressure then im thinking it shouldnt, correct?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes, it should have the hole in it. The reservoir should not see either pressure or vacuum. That is why it's vented.