No Fire - Volvo AQ131A/275 leg

TulsaTime

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Took the boat out today and set her in the water and it did not start. It didn't even try to start with starting fluid..No fire. I replaced the ignition coil with a brand new one and that didn't work. I've never replaced or messed with the distributor, points or condensor because up until now I haven't had one problem starting it. It turns over good and I know it is getting gas. I've read about electronic ignition instead of the old points system. Any help where to start would be greatly appreciated.:)

chaparall villain 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: No Fire - Volvo AQ131A/275 leg

before i did anything i would make sure the safety lanyard is fully engaged and that you have 12 volts on both sides of it with ignition in the on position it will definitly kill the ignition dead

TulsaTime

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's great information - thanks! I'll put the ole' Volt meter on it.

chaparall villain 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well sometimes boat failure experience can help someone else ... i have had my fair share but i still love um lol

captmello

Captain

Pull the dist. cap and rotor off and have a look. I change points every year. And the condenser.

Don't be afraid...:eek:

TulsaTime

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Better late than never! It was the points. After inspection of the guts under the distributor cap, it was fairly obvious the points were shot. Good news is O'reilly had a set for $12 + Condensor. Installed them and it started right up. Like I said, better late than never! Also, thankfully this Volvo AQ131A is pretty much the same engine found in the Volvo 244 Automobile so I didn't have to pay premium prices for genuine volvo parts!