Possible Cooling Problem in an 86' volvo penta 2.3 L.

spors29

Recruit
Have a 1986 volvo penta 2.3 AQ131A with a 275 stern drive. I think we may have a cooling problem. This is what's going on. I've replaced the impeller, i've tightened the water pump belt, and it still seems to me that there isn't any water being circulated. Starts right up but runs hot within about 10 minutes. It is running at 220(ish) degrees. When running i look in the raw water strainer and the is no water running through it. I am not completely familiar with a boat motor of this kind and could really use some help. Any ideas or suggestions of what may be going on would be greatly appreciated.

spors29

Recruit
Re: Possible Cooling Problem in an 86' volvo penta 2.3 L.

When i say i replaced the impeller i am referring to the impeller in the raw water pump. Today i also took the thermostat housing all apart and the thermostat is good.

robjen1019

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Possible Cooling Problem in an 86' volvo penta 2.3 L.

alot of times the nipple on the out-drive gets corroded and begins to leak. You can force water through the system and see if the water will get to the water pump. The way I do it is to plug the water drop hole on the bottom of the out-drive. And then put a set of rectangular muffs on. Here is the trick. Use a bungee strap and wrap it around the muffs 2 times, once on top and once below. This will give good seal.
If you get water, You know you have a leak somewhere.
My guess is the nipple on the out-drive especially if it has ever been used in salt water.\

One other thing, make sure that the key in the water pump didn't fall out during install. (did that once myself)