1984 volvo penta qa125a no spark help

izzy g

Seaman Apprentice
hi guys i need some pointers. i just got this boat compression is good i got new plugs and cables new hot spark electronic points instead of the stock ones new fuel pump cause it was missing and new oil. i'm not getting any spark and the coil shows 2v when i put the volt meter to the pos and neg ends. i'm getting gas and cranks no problem just not sure what to do? i followed the instalation for the hot spark the way it says in the instructions.
did i do something wrong?

chaparall villain 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1984 volvo penta qa125a no spark help

2volt or 12 volts 2 is definitly not enough ... i just did the hot spark ignition in a aq231a and i had to play with the timing a bit to get it to fire but once i did and set the timing it worked great good luck

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

and the coil shows 2v when i put the volt meter to the pos and neg ends.

If that means you put the red meter lead on the + terminal of the coil, and the black meter lead on the - terminal of the coil. That tells you nothing.
The red lead goes on the + terminal of the coil, the black lead goes to a good ground. Now, you will have a usable number.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

You just found your voltage drop across the coil... unfortunetly it tells you nothing.

izzy g

Seaman Apprentice

thanks guys i got my friend who is a mechanic to check it out and we got voltage up to the coil and 36v from the coil to the distributor but the dist. is not poroducing any voltage when i cranck the engine the points are ok.the boat sat for a few years outside and i noticed the distributor has some rust inside when we flash a light through the little grooves.i'm buying a new distributor i'm almost sure that is the problem everything else is working all fuses are ok too but does anydoby have any other suggestions before we go ahead and change it? or any tips? thanks guys this is really helpfull:D

libellav15

Petty Officer 2nd Class

a mechanic who wasn't alarmed by 36v at the coil???

do you have a workshop manual

libellav15

Petty Officer 2nd Class

does the hot spark points mean you have done away with the condensor - i'm not familiar with the brand (UK).

if not - then run a jumper lead direct from the 12v of the battery to the +ve of the coil

then take all wires off the -ve side of the coil - EXCEPT the one from the points.

Now rotate the engine until the points are closed - and use a plastic tool to open the points - if there is a massive arc (spark) then change out the condensor(capacitor)

If it looks alright - minimal arc - then put the dizzy cap back on and check if you have a spark with the temporary jumper lead in place (the jumper you made from the battery to the +ve of the coil)

if you now have a spark then you know you have an issue with the power supply to the +ve of the coil.

if still no spark suspect coil. with the 12v jumper still on the +ve terminal of the coil, set up a jumper wire from the -ve side of the coil and hold it on a good earthing point on the block - use insulated (rubber handled) pliers. When you pull the wire away from the block (1/4 inch) you should get a spark. If not bad coil.

***DO ALL OF THE ABOVE FAIRLY QUICKLY - OR REMOVE JUMPER FROM COIL IN BETWEEN TESTS - DANGER OF OVERHEATING COIL - AND REMOVE THE BATTERY END SO YOU DON'T HAVE A LOOSE LIVE WIRE FLOATING ROUND THE ENGINE BAY HUNTING FOR EARTHS :D ***

can't see how changing a distributor would solve a complete 'no-spark' situation to be honest.

a distributor simply does just that - distributes the spark to the correct leads/plugs at the right time via the rotor arm.

If you take the breaker plate off the distributor to reveal the mechanical advance mechanism (springs and weights that extend centrifugally to advance timing with rpm) - and confirm that the weights are moving freely and both springs are in tact and in place, give it a clean up and away you go - put it back together.

distributors only really need changing out when the cam gets excessive play and timing is all over the place as a result.

good luck

adam

izzy g

Seaman Apprentice

thank you i will try all of the avove to come to the real problem.and i will get back to you,man i hope i don't have to replace the dist.

libellav15

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No probs - good luck with it.

Just noticed that the very first answer you got had a link to one of Don S's fantastic stickies - troubleshooting points system - that had all the same info probably - well worth reading through :)

good luck bud

adam

:)

izzy g

Seaman Apprentice

ok adam i had some time to test a few things today a ran a jumper wire to the battery and cranked i also got a new coil for cheap and i now have spark in the lead wire coming from the coil, not a strong one tho it's orange but it's there i had a weak spark in cylinder 3 but none in the others i also unpluged the tach wires in case it's foulty but nothing changed.i got 11.6 volts at the coil with the ignition on. i'm still usin the hot spark electronic ignition instead of the stock points and condensor and it must be working cause i have spark in the lead wire im so confused. i cleaned all the grounds so now im lost again.:confused: