Volvo Penta 230b Will Not Start

GLPmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

Just bought a 1993 Larson with a Volvo Penta 230b and Volvo SP stern drive.

Motor has not been started in a year as reported by prior owner.

Installed new battery and starter. Tried some starting fluid and got a couple of pops, but that's about it.

Any suggestions on what to check to help get this clean motor started?

Thanks

captmello

Captain
Re: Volvo Penta 230b Will Not Start

A couple of points.

Those carbs do not have a choke, so they can be a bit cold blooded. They usually require a couple pumps of the throttle to get started and often need a bit of time at a fast idle to warm up before operating the boat.

IMO, starter fluid is not good for an engine and should not be necessary to start one. Pour a little gas in the carb if you want, but skip the ether.

Have you done a compression test on the engine? If you did, that can give you some hints as to whether the engine is healthy. With any older engine, you'll want to go through everything to make sure it's ready for water.

Good luck with the new boat, and let us know what happens.:)

Todd157k

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the motor has sat that long, you should put a couple drops of oil in each cylinder before cranking it. You've probably already cranked it enough that the oil pressure has taken care of it.

1. Have you checked to see if it is getting spark?
if no, then start checking
A. voltage to the coil
B. cap/rotor/condenser condition
C. wires. (if they are cracked, the spark may be jumping to some other metal and not going through the spark plug.

If yes:
1. Check the static timing
2. Check the compression
3. Most importantly, check the fuel.. good level and good fuel.

GLPmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the responses.

While I am waiting for the service manual to arrive. What voltage should I expect going to the coil? Also, what psi should I be looking for during compression?

Todd157k

Petty Officer 2nd Class

12v on one side of the coil when the ignition key is turned on (not turning over.. just "on"). The other side is ground and goes through the points (hence activating the coil when turned over). You do not measure the voltage coming out of the top of the coil unless you want to look like Don King.
The compression should be 120+ however it's more important that they are all similar.

GLPmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks.

The compression test looked good. 165, 155, 155, 160.

We noticed the fuel feed line was not connected to the carb. Where should it connect on the carb?

Thanks,
Mike

GLPmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello,

We are getting 12v out of coil with key on. We are not getting spark at all four cylinders with a tester.

Question: we noticed a red button with 40 on it located on the block near the starter with a purple wire leading to the distributed. Is this a fuse? If so, could it be blown? If so, how is it reset or replaced?

Thanks

GLPmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We are getting 12v from coil wire to distributer, but no spark with spark tester off all four spark plug wires.

Should we pull distributer and replace it along with rotor?

Should we check breaker points as well?

Thanks

captmello

Captain

Absolutely, change the points. Change out the condenser. Make sure you use a dwell meter when adjusting the points. Don't change out the distributer. Maybe you meant dist. cap, yes, and the rotor.

Like I said in post #2, you need to go over everything. If you do not know when the last tune up was done, you should do one.

I would however, since the boat is not running, try to get it running before replacing a bunch of parts all at once. Try one thing, try to get it started, and so on.

Have you done a compression test yet? Change the plugs out while you're at it.

I would have a look at the summarization and winterization threads in the adults only sticky, and look through all the maintenance items from both threads.

Good luck!

Todd157k

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I assume you've hooked up the fuel line AND checked there is fuel.

If the engine cranks over, but doesn't start, you don't need to play with anything at/near the starter. I don't know what the button is that you found, but the starter isn't the problem.

Condensers dry out over years of not being used. Replace that for sure, and the distributer cap / rotor. Like advised above, don't rip out the whole system all at once. You can do the cap/rotor/condenser at one time. None of these are "adjustable". DON'T move the distributer around while working on it.
While you're in there replacing those items, look at the points. If they're clean, leave them alone. If there's crud on them, take an emery board (steel one from the wife's finger nail kit) and lightly clean the inside contacts. Blow out the dust and put the unit back together.

GLPmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks.

Does anyone know the correct Gap setting for the points?

captmello

Captain

0.40 mm (0.01575") gap
62?3? dwell
6 deg btdc for timing

chaparall villain 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the volvo i was just working on had the info on the aircleaner cover the red button is a master reset and if it is kicked out just push it in and it should reset itself . there are probably 2 lines that run to the carb , one is steel from the fuel pump the other is probably clear rubber and goes up to the top of the carb incase of a fuel pump rupture. after cranking did you look to see if when you moves the throttle it had gas squirting into the carb?and just incase you cant find the points gap setting the one i worked on was .016

GLPmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info. guys. Will give it a try in the morning.

We will be installing new points, rotor, condenser, and distributer cap.

GLPmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The engine is now sputtering, but not starting.

Would someone know the correct sparkplug gap?

Any other ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Todd157k

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ahhh.. signs of life! :cool:

Now it's in the timing. First, make double sure you have the correct sequence on the wires. Don't assume it was correct the way it was.. it wasn't running before. Do you know how to set/check the timing statically?

captmello

Captain

0.7 mm (0.0276") plug gap
1342 firing order

GLPmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks.

Good point on the firing order. Looking at the 230b sparkplugs and distributer cap how would I confirm if my current sparkplug wire configuration based on the correct firing order 1342?

GLPmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not sure how to check timing? But willing to learn.

Thanks