Volvo Penta 3.0L GS Overheat/Burtst Hose Restrictor

bprall

Recruit
On our third trip out on a used 1997 Glastron with the 3.0L GS (PLKD) Penta, the engine overheated and we had to get towed back to shore. I identified that the impeller was shot (into many pieces) and replaced it with a new impeller. When I pulled the incoming and outgoing water lines from the water pump, I noticed a venturi like restrictor on the incoming water line. I talked with a local parts department, and they new nothing about this restrictor and recommended I not re-install it. Today we went out for a ride and the large hose running from the thermostat housing to the circulation pump expanded and eventually blew, requiring another tow back to shore. I understand the hose may be old and could blow at any time, however I'm curious about this restrictor. Should I put it back in when I replace the hose? I flushed water through the circulating pump to be sure nothing was blocking flow (from the recent impeller issue) and water flowed from the circulation pump and out of the thermostat housing. Also tested the other direction, and water flow out of the pump fine when flushed through the therm. housing. I also disconnected the hose on the downstream side of the thermostat and flushed water through the exhaust which appeared to be clear. All these tests were with the engine off.

While running the boat today, temp. was pretty steady at 175, which is dead center on my gauge, so it didn't appear that a blockage was causing any overheating issues, just inflating and blowing the hose. When using muffs, warm water was flowing out of the rear unit appropriately.

Sorry for the long post, just wondering if anyone has seen this restrictor before and if I should re-install it to releive some pressure on the system. Also, should I installa heavier duty hose between the circ. pump and therm. housing?

Thanks