Replace, Repair, Use Ford/Volvo

Jim Marshall

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am rebuilding my Ford 302/Volvo 270 Drive, looking at a boat that is 36 years old and was in storage for the last 10. I have some questions that I have broken down regarding parts.

Coil (rebuild, replace, use) I replaced one failed one after the first ten years.

Fuel Pump (rebuild, replace, use) Replaced about 20 years ago.

Circulating pump (rebuild, replace, use).

Raw water (I am rebuilding this one--it is in good shape).

Carburetor (rebuild, replace, use). Holley 4bbl. Does not have J-tubes--from factory.

The rest of the engine was totally rebuilt.

Thanks for perspectives.

Jim Marshall

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Replace, Repair, Use Ford/Volvo

Which of these should be replaced, rebuilt or just used as they are. For example, the coil went out when we were in the San Juan islands in Washington. We were towed in and replaced it with an Echlin. Does this happen often? Are there better replacements or are they all car stuff.

Jim

zbnutcase

Commander

Rebuild carb and raw water pump, and replace the rest!

Jim Marshall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Would you recommend a high performance coil like Mallory or just the standard ford?

Jim

ziggy

Admiral

if it were mine. i R&R all of the items listed except the coil. the carb only because it apparently isn't set up as a marine carb. the fuel pump because it must not be marine either or it'd have the clear tube going up to the carb and apparently there's no where to hook it up at. so it must be a auto fuel pump. which i can believe on both counts since back in the days of yer 302, it may not have had marine carb and fuel pump. the safety rules may not have been in place at that time.

edit... i dont' think yer gonna get any extra performance out of a coil. just get a regular one, imho....

Jim Marshall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The fuel pump is marine. It has a glass bowl in the bottom with a little warning sign inside that tells if the primary has failed. I had one fail once. It still worked briefly at least but the bowl filled. I replaced it with a similar one. I understand that the overflow now goes up into the carburetor.

Jim

Jim Marshall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The fuel pump is marine. It has a glass bowl in the bottom with a little warning sign inside that tells if the primary has failed. I had one fail once. It still worked briefly at least but the bowl filled. I replaced it with a similar one. I understand that the overflow now goes up into the carburetor.

Jim

a70eliminator

Captain

I rebuilt an engine and didn't even think about re-using the old stuff, don't skimp on a few bolt ons, just go all the way and have no worries.