4.3L Volvo-260 Volvo must I change outdrive?

mlcgifts

Recruit
I want to replace my 4.3L volvo with a 5.7 v-8. I know the engine will line up with the outdrive no problem. I'm told that the 4.3 outdrive is a different ratio and hard to prop with a v-8. I don't mind replacing the motor, but they want another $3500.00 for an outdrive. I wouldn't mind, but the boat isn't new and my outdrive has many years left in it. There has to be someone else out there who has done the same thing. Does anyone have a solution for me?

Juancho

Seaman
Re: 4.3L Volvo-260 Volvo must I change outdrive?

Since no one has responded, I thought I might take a crack at it. You will most certainly have to change the gearing in the outdrive. Once your gear ratio is setup correctly, I don't think you will have any trouble propping the boat.<br />I would love to upgrade my Volvo AQ125 to a 4.3, but I am afraid that it is quite involved. Even if I got a complete marine 4.3 I would still nee to buy a new bellhousing and wiring harness, install engine mounts on the stringers and change the gearing in the outdrive. If I wasn’t working full time, going to school and raising a family, I might have time, and money to do it, but for now it just a dream.

Gene70

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 4.3L Volvo-260 Volvo must I change outdrive?

Andy, You have the old style Volvo. All V6's and V8's 270 through 290 units carry the same gear ratio. You have a 1.61.1 Duo prop old style is 1.95.1. A 4 cyl overhead cam Volvo is 21.5 ratio.<br />Call me if you need more help 1-800-949-2189