making me nuts volvo 130/280stern

madera

Cadet
volvo aq130 in/out. today i replaced impeller, cleaned out heat exchanger and when i connected the mickey mouse ears to stern drive no water wants to enter the system (no water mixed with exhaust coming out. i took the inlet pipe off the bell housing that goes to sand screen then to impeller and no water is coming out the pipe. stern drive does have a plug inplace and mouse ears on full blast? i connected the water hose directly to rubber hose going to impeller and stern drive bubbles water and exhaust like normal. why won't it act normal with mouse ears? seems as if the 280stern drive won't prime.

timothy676

Cadet
Re: making me nuts volvo 130/280stern

When I started working on my colling system ( see related posts ) I found that i did have some build up in the out drive. weeds and such can block the intake in the outdrive.. Also, make sure impeller is spinning. I tested mine by simply removeing the impeler cover and cranked motor.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

There is another little water pickup that needs to be plugged when we are running these things on the muffs.Look for a round hole at the front and bottom of the gearcase bullet.Plug mine off with a whittled down 3/8 dowel.

madera

Cadet

the impeller turns, how can i check the lower unit for blockage, I ran water backwards and it flowed ok, however water doesn't want to go up. can i simply unbolt it drop it off and look? is it pretty easy to put back?

timothy676

Cadet

it is fairly easy to pull the outdrive but takes a good deal of time. I'm not sure you would find anything wrong. I would make sure that you have all good water flow to the muffs, I used a little duct tape to cover over any leaks around the muffs, and it helped. Is the boat overheating when running?

madera

Cadet

tim676<br />pulled the right angle outlet off the stern drive, and really sealed up the mouse ears, got good flow, what temp do you think this 4cyl aq130d should operate at @ 130? I'm going to get new water temp sensor and a matching guage tomorrow. what temp does yours op at?

timothy676

Cadet

per selco manual you are in range.. 124-133 your thermostat will begin to open and should be fully oppened by 153.. before spending the money on new thermostate and gauge. You can pull the thrermostate boil water test with a thermoter to make sure it is working correctly then if it is oppinging you know that gauge is off.