Volvo Penta SX control cable replacement

chadelliott

Seaman Apprentice
From the pic. I obviously need a new cable, but my question is do I need to remove the drive from the boat to do so?

And "yes" I did a search for this but nothing specific came up(mostly mercruiser replacements)

(I did the kink in the cable with a pair of needle nose pliers)

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m220/Dogma70/SNV11793.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: Volvo Penta SX Lower cable replacement

Drive can stay on boat, but you must remove rear plastic cover to get to shift linkage, and on SX drives there is no "lower" cable, it goes directly to the control.

chadelliott

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. I removed the plastic cover and cable came right out, of course followed by the new one. Copy on the "no' lower cable.

chadelliott

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Volvo Penta SX control cable replacement

I do have to say, Thank you Volvo Penta for making this cable one of easiest I have ever had to replace.

Colliemcc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you have a glastron sx 175 right???

What lenght was the shift cable you got, thanks Colm

chadelliott

Seaman Apprentice

No, I have a 97 Fourwinns Horizon RX.
The cable has the length stamped on it somewhere, which is also the part number.

Mine was stamped CC21415, the 15 was the length in feet.

gabon

Recruit

I was replacing my bellows and I accidentally kinked my shift cable while I had the outdrive off so I'm going to the dealership in the morning at 9am to get a new one and I hope to have everything back together and in running order by noon. I started to pull the old one out this evening to have it in hand when I go to the store for the new one to match them up and make sure it's the right part. I called them and they said they have a 14' cable that should work but now I'm skeptical because I have a Glastron GS 205 20' bowrider and you're using a 15' cable on a 17' boat.

Now for the real question -- when I got moving to pull out the old cable I couldn't figure out how to get to it at the shift lever. I pulled out 6 screws and the lever is now loose but it won't pull out! My radio console is mounted right underneath the lever so I assume I'll have to remove it to get to the cable from behind/underneath with very little room to move. Is there a trick to this that I'm not aware of?

One last thought -- I was considering taping the new cable to the old one out back by the outdrive and then pulling the old one out through the engine bay so that it'll fish the new one right through without any problems -- what do you think?

Any help at all would be great -- Thanks a lot!

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Can't help you with the shift lever, but taping the 2 cables together to route the new one into place should work fine. Overlap the old and new and wind duct tape around them. I've fished many a wire, cable and hose through inaccessible areas that way. If spaces are tight, having a helper to jiggle and push, while you jiggle and pull, can help.

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT buy a cable that someone says "should work". Get the same length cable that was in there, or you'll spend a lot of effort for nothing. Too short or too long may cause the cable to kink or bind. You'll be right back where you started.

Good luck!

chadelliott

Seaman Apprentice

I was replacing my bellows and I accidentally kinked my shift cable while I had the outdrive off so I'm going to the dealership in the morning at 9am to get a new one and I hope to have everything back together and in running order by noon. I started to pull the old one out this evening to have it in hand when I go to the store for the new one to match them up and make sure it's the right part. I called them and they said they have a 14' cable that should work but now I'm skeptical because I have a Glastron GS 205 20' bowrider and you're using a 15' cable on a 17' boat.

Now for the real question -- when I got moving to pull out the old cable I couldn't figure out how to get to it at the shift lever. I pulled out 6 screws and the lever is now loose but it won't pull out! My radio console is mounted right underneath the lever so I assume I'll have to remove it to get to the cable from behind/underneath with very little room to move. Is there a trick to this that I'm not aware of?

One last thought -- I was considering taping the new cable to the old one out back by the outdrive and then pulling the old one out through the engine bay so that it'll fish the new one right through without any problems -- what do you think?

Any help at all would be great -- Thanks a lot!

Do you have the volvo penta outdrive? If so, volvo was very smart and put a thick hose from where the outdrive and transom meet that the cable runs thru to the outdrive. All you need to do is tie a wire to the shift end of the cable and pull it thru. Then when you get the new cable attached the wire to the outdrive end of the cable grease it up and pull it thru.

Definately get the RIGHT cable for the boat. I called Four Winns and they gave me the correct cable length and part number, but i did find it stamped to the actual cable itself when I pull it out.

I have an 18' boat and the length of cable wouldnt matter how big the boat is(unless it's a huge *** boat) but the relation to where the shifter sits in the boat at the helm. As an example, we could have the same length cable on your 20 footer and my 18' but you may have more bow space then I do but from the shifter to the outdrive could be of equal distance. Does that make any sense???