Rebuild or replace carb on old volvo 305?

Unseenthings

Cadet
Fired up engine today for first time in years, runs pretty good, however I noticed fuel dripping down on intake manifold by the throttle linkage.
It's a 81 Bayliner with a volvo 305. I plan on upgrading to 350 at some point soon.
Do I have a place rebuild current rochester 4bbl carb,
buy reman rochestor for $329
or go to Holley or Edelbrock?

Thank you for your input

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Rebuild or replace carb on old volvo 305?

rebuild isnt that hard, i just rebuilt 2 Rochester 4 barrels, bought the rebuild kits locally for 24.99 each, took 2-3 hours per carb, and it was done.

one of mine had the same problem as yours, the other was getting no fuel through it...

Unseenthings

Cadet

where did you get rebuild kit locally? Are the kits the same for auto and marine carbs or is the marine different?
Thanks

6meter

Chief Petty Officer

There is a carb number stamped on the back side flange on the corner of the carb. Should be something like 7042386. Bring that number to a good auto parts store that sells Delco. They should be able to get it within a day. Carbs and kits are different than ones for cars.

Unseenthings

Cadet

Thanks for the input and the vid, but wanting to be on the water sunday, I figured this wasn't the time to practice. Found a kit in town, and someone else to rebuild it by tomarrow afternoon.
Then I guess we will see what else is wrong with boat.
Cheers