Volvo SX repair - is this SAFE?

GeorgiaDave

Cadet
I was in the process of pulling the lower unit from my 2000 SX outdrive - followed procedures in service manual. Managed to seperate the lower from the transom shield assy by about 1/2", and it wasn't easy to get it that far.

Last year it came right apart, but this year, nothing's moving past the 1/2" mark, and it's stuck fast. Needs service to the u-joints, so it's a must-do.

I'm thinking about pulling the pivot pins from the transom shield - any reason this won't work to at least remove the whole mess? I'm hoping at that point I'll find a way to pull the lower from the transom shield, but I'd sure like to hear from the experts before I do something I'll regret.

Been a reader of this forum for quite some time - never had a need to post prior. First time for everthing!

Last edited:

GeorgiaDave

Cadet
Re: Volvo SX repair - is this SAFE?

Well, no replies! I moved along anyways and pulled the pivot pins. The assembly is still stuck fast. I'm assuming the input spline is stuck in the back of the engine.

ANY thoughts on how to proceed, or is it time to start cutting?

I'd really appeciate any advice. Kind of suprised and sad that no one bothered to respond to my first plea for help.

01-4winz

Cadet

the gimbal bearing is probably hung up on those o-rings.. idk free bump:D

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The other way is not what you want to hear. Pull the engine and knock the shaft out. The shaft is stuck on the bearing, not on the engine. Another reason to pull the outdrive each and every year to ensure this never occurs.

GeorgiaDave

Cadet

FD69 - That's a good thought, but not enough clearance to pull the motor - the manual states a minimum of 6" in front is required to clear the u-joint shaft, so that's a no-go. If there's 3" of clearance, I'd be lucky. Plus, if it's stuck one direction, it's stuck the other, right?

The darn thing was off last year, and everything greased before assy. Alignment at the time was right on the money. Can't imagine that it would move 1/2" and nothing beyond. Expected if it was rusted in place, I'd get no movement at all.

I'm about out of ideas here.

Any other ideas/thoughts are appreciated!!!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

You did unhook the shift cable and the cable housing bolt on the side of the drive?? Just guessing..;)

GeorgiaDave

Cadet

Yep - nothing holding it in now except the connecting shaft.

cr2k

Captain

Probably a little confusion as you don't pull the LOWER from the transom it is bolted to the upper which is bolted to the bell/transom assy. So now the assumption is you are trying to pull the whole drive and not just the lower.

GeorgiaDave

Cadet

Sorry, terminology issues - yes, I'm attempting to remove the drive - I need to replace the u-joint. Wishing now I had done that last year when I put new bellows in, but it looked fine and dandy, no roughness, looseness. This spring, lots of noise, especially in hard turns. There may be bearing issues also, but without being able to pull the unit....

CabinFevah

Cadet

Maybe with the bad ujoint it's pulling it off center and binding?
I pulled mine last fall and it fight the whole way, I had pry bars and all sorts of...
Best of luck to you.

Steev-oh

Cadet

I had similar problem and i found putting it in gear and having someone turn the prop while I pulled and and used some wood for leverage and that worked. Are you using a engine hoist? or are you just strong arming it off? Why are you pulling the pivot housing off? if you undone the 2 hex bolts you are probably fighting against the exhaust bellows and the drive bellows, trim sensor, ground wires and shift cable, water inlet hose and nut. I left the pivot housing on until after the drive was removed.

I had the same noise you mentioned when turning I replaced the gimble with the new greasless and it turned out the previous owner had changed the u-joints so I changed the grease in them and the noise was gone, there was a post about using a 3" PVC pipe to drive the gimble back it worked great I just wish I made the pipe 12" long, I ordered an alignment tool off e-bay I got it for $34 worked awsome.

My local marine shop told me to use this triple-guard grease (envinrude Johnson) PN 775780 to coat the input shaft splines/o-rings and bellows and the water inlet o-ring when reinstalling, it worked great no leaks.

i hope I helped

GeorgiaDave

Cadet

Steev-oh, the only reason I pulled the pivot pins was to attempt to remove the assy as a whole, since I wasn't able to just remove the drive portion. The pins are back in.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try to jog the motor a few times with the bolts loose, maybe that will shake something up. Hit it with penetrating oil yesterday AM and a few times more today, so the combo may just work.

My last resort will be cutting the shaft, but I hate the thought of that.

Steev-oh

Cadet

Did you get the shaft out? I hope you got it with out cutting it off?