volvo shift cable

mjcjr

Cadet
I have a 2006 regal 2400 with a volvo 5.0 GXi-f and a DP-s, i have had the shifter cable replaced twice, and would like to some life out of the new one. The control is a Morse SL-3 side mount.
What maintenance procedures should i be performing to keep the shifter working properly.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: volvo shift cable

Ayuh,... The cable itself isn't servicable... The controller can be sprayed with grease...
If your barge is Eatin' cables like that, I'd be investigating it's Routing,+ straightening any bends...
That's what wears 'em out...

sasto

Captain

I found out on the bossmans boat that keeping the drive up for extended periods would put strain on cable at the outdrive and crack the sleaving in which would allow water intrusion. Saltwater enviroment. Since then no more problem with me....Good Luck

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What was it doing that caused you to replace the cables?
Keeping the drive down shouldn't be an issue, thousands keep the outdrive up without the problem occuring. Like bondo stated, sharp bends and tight turns will take cables out a lot faster, but 1 a year is a bit much even for tight bends. Also make sure you don't have any wire ties on the shift and throttle cable within about 2 feet of the control, 3 would be better. Those cables have to have room to move up and down.

mjcjr

Cadet

Originally too much pressure was required to shift and it became annoying trying to back into my slip.( it was a new boat, maybe regal messsed it up) The yard recommended replacing the cable, which they did and it was fine for a couple of years, then at the start of last season the cable was frozen, couldn't move it into gear at all.
Brought the boat to the dealer who replaced the cable again.
This season no problems, just wondering if there was something I could do to help avoid any future problems. But based on your comments not really.
If there was a bend in the cable that has been causing the problem I have no idea how that would have occurred. According to the dealer the second cable showed no sign of water damage.
I will check to see if there are wire ties close to the control.

sasto

Captain

Originally too much pressure was required to shift and it became annoying trying to back into my slip.( it was a new boat, maybe regal messsed it up) The yard recommended replacing the cable, which they did and it was fine for a couple of years, then at the start of last season the cable was frozen, couldn't move it into gear at all.
Brought the boat to the dealer who replaced the cable again.
This season no problems, just wondering if there was something I could do to help avoid any future problems. But based on your comments not really.
If there was a bend in the cable that has been causing the problem I have no idea how that would have occurred. According to the dealer the second cable showed no sign of water damage.
I will check to see if there are wire ties close to the control.

Have you spoke with the mechanic about where at in the cable the problem is. As an ex boatbuilder I have installed numerous cables without any problems of failure in only 2 years. I am curious about your problem as I have changed the cable in simular boat twice after being on a boat lift for an extended period of time. Mine cracked both times where it is exposed on the outdrive. When I pulled the cable thru the x-som there seemed to be a sharp bend at the outdrive end....??????? I thought it was drive up for extended periods but other post says otherwise. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.