1998 Volvo 5.0Gi Duo-Prop Issue

dfaoro

Recruit
I've been having a nagging performance issue with my 1998 246 Albemarle. Engine is a Volvo 5.0 Gi hooked to a Duo-Prop drive. Boat will bog down during acceleration and sometimes run fine and others sputter and want to stall out. It will sometuimes run fine at cruise, at tother times it will be cruising and suddenly want to stall out.

Engine has a fresh tune-up, new filter, new fuel pump, new manifolds and risers.

I think I have it bolied down to a fuel flow issue or bad fuel or probably both.

I pulled the deck hatch that covers the fuel outlet and sending unit. With the motor running, I could hear what I at first thought was an electrical short, sort of a buzz -- buzz -- buzz. What we figured out was that it is the check valve on top of the tank opening and closing.

Should it be making any sound? I'm wondering if it is clogged or sucking debrie up to the strainer at the fuel pick up.

Also, the mechanic I had looking at it earlier on said he found black "gunk" that he described as mold-like on the engine side of the fuel strainer (which was new).

Next step is to pull the check valve and also the sending unit to have the inside of the tank flushed.

Any thoughts or ideas?

dfaoro

Recruit
Re: 1998 Volvo 5.0Gi Duo-Prop Issue

Geez, I know i'm new here, but no love on this topic? :D

dfaoro

Recruit
Re: 1998 Volvo 5.0Gi Duo-Prop Issue

No thoughts on the anti-siphon valve? Should it make ANY noise or just be silent?