Update**Volvo/OMC SX shifting issues

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer
The drive is 'loading up' before shifting into forward. Once it shifts into forward, it throttles up smoothly. It is shifting into reverse smoothly, but it is hard to throttle up in reverse. It hits a hard spot and you have to put your weight behind it to throttle up when in reverse.

I went through the cable adjustment proceedure by the book, but couldn't find anything that I could adjust. The throttle looked spot on, but the shift cable at the drive was adjusted all the way in, and needed to be further in. With the shifter in N, the adjustment nut was all the way in, and the cable was bowed a little due to being too long. The keeper that holds the cable at the drive was installed correctly.

Next time I'm at the lake, I'm going to tear into the shift control at the helm. I'm hoping the cables were hooked up incorrectly or in the wrong slot for my particular drive and it is shifting into reverse too quickly making it hard to throttle up and making it shift late into forward.

Make sense?

Anybody else seen this before?

jclarke2899

Seaman
Re: Volvo/OMC SX shifting issues

Hi Spark,

I have a similar issue with my 98 Four Winns with the 5.0GL and Cobra SX Drive. I've read of ALOT of problems where it is tough giving throttle in reverse. Shifts like butter into forward and reverse, but to speed it up enough to act as a brake when coming up on a dock is tricky, without leaning into it too much and really gassing it. I'm sure I looked like a fool at the dock until I got it right. I took off the cover of the drive and made an adjustment there that really seemed to help. I can't remember for the life of me which way I had to adjust it, but when I did it I remember thinking I was adjusting it in the wrong direction, but that's what made the difference. Maybe try adjusting it out, and putting it on the flushing adapter and see if it helps.

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer

Update**

I have a newer Telefles control installed by the PO. I removed my control and it is in pretty good shape and the cables seem to be hooked up correctly. I was hoping that was the problem, but it wasn't. :(

I removed my shift cable to inspect it and I think I found where my problem is. The shift cable is original, dated December of 94. :eek: I figured they replaced the cable when they replaced the control, but there I go thinking.

Anyway, the outer cable had several cracks at the drive end that were completely through and you could see the inner sleeve. The inner sleeve was broken through and was pulled apart with a quarter inch gap. I ordered a new cable and I'll update after trying it out.