2002 volvo 5.0GXI backfire on acceleration

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedogking

Recruit
I have a 5.0GXI, 2002 which starts fine, but when I accelerate it looses power like it is struggling to stay running and then it backfires. Got any suggestions? I put a stablizer in fuel, replaced fuel filter. ????

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2002 volvo 5.0GXI backfire on acceleration

Did you examine the contents of the old fuel filter for water?
How long since a full tuneup?
I would suggest a diagnotic scan with the proper scan tool, along with following the procedures in the OEM manual to locate the faults.
May also require an injector balance test, leakdown test, etc.
What is the full model number of your engine? (letters after the GXi. or the Volvo SN.

thedogking

Recruit

Not yet. We just put the boat in the water. When it was launched it ran fine, then the following day the problem started. It would accel to about 15mph and then bogged right down and then it backfired a couple of times. I can't tell you if there was traces of water in the filter, a friend removed the filter and said he didn't see anything, but who knows! I wasn't there. We put a new filter on and treatment, but same thing. Guess will have to pull it and take it in to shop. Good thoughts though and I am not capable of doing the tests. Thanks for the input.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If the old filter was mostly water, and you put a new one on, it could be mostly water too.

Status
Not open for further replies.