Volvo Penta SX-M Trim Cylinder Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

brl71898

Cadet
:confused:I have a 2000 Larson Cabrio 220, Volvo Penta Outdrive, and the starboard trim cylinder began leaking fluid last fall at the point that the piston goes into the cylinder body. My mechanic told me he could fix it by replacing a seal, then found out the seals don't exist for the SX-M lower units and that the cylinder is throw a away. This after a month in his shop. He did not fix it or replace it saying you can use it just keep topping off the ATF fluid as needed. After reading posts on here and realizing that doing this will probably draw in water while on the lake and eventually sacrificing an expensive pump.I just ordered a new cylinder for 460 bucks and plan to do it myself. Should I be ordering new o-rings as well for the hydraulic lines? What do I need to know to get the old cylinder off as it appears their is a clip holding it in place? I have read some threads regarding the building of a "spanner wrench" if needed I think I can do it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Was glad to see I am not the only poor soul with a problem with these cylinders.

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: Volvo Penta SX-M Trim Cylinder Replacement

Did you see this in your search here at iboats?;):)

Volvo does not officially offer a reseal kit for the SX trim cylinders. With that said, OMC does offer a reseal kit which I'm told will work to reseal the SX trim cylinders as the OMC cylinders were virtually identical. As a Volvo dealer, we do not reseal Volvo trim cylinders as that is not an approved method of repair, but one of our parts dept. personel advised me that he has sold the OMC trim cylinder reseal kits over the counter to other shops/individuals that will reseal Volvo trim cylinders.

It's worth a try, the OMC trim cylinder reseal kit part number is 985060 (cost is $27.25 plus tax) compared to a new Volvo SX trim cylinder which is ($472.50 plus tax each). I opened up one of the OMC reseal kits and it does come with instructions to reseal the cylinder. You will need a spanner wrench to remove the end cap of the trim cylinder to remove it and the inner rod to replace all the orings necessary.

I strongly suggest getting the cylinder repaired or replaced as soon as possible, if water is getting into the trim system due to the faulty seal, it may ultimately ruin the trim pump (expensive).

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/questions...-3-i-o-with-a-cobra-sx-outdrive#ixzz0lyIwGqCt

brl71898

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I did see this info and thought it was helpful. I have the new trim cylinder already on the way but plan to purchase the kit you mentioned to repair the old one so I will have a back up. I thought the info my mechanic gave me was not very good and is the reason I searched on this forum for more info. It only makes sense that if the fluid is leaking out than fluid (water) can easily make it in to the system while on the lake. Now just wondering if their is any specific things I need to know to replace the old cylinder with the new? Any special tools needed and how long something like this might take for an inexperienced boat mechanic but a fairly hand individual? Thanks again:D

Baskerwille

Recruit

Hi brl71989,

Do not throw out your SX-trimcylinder if the OMC kit does not fit. Help is on its way.
I had the same problem with both SX-cylindres. I replaced it with OMC sealing-kit, and it worked fine for a while. But since the target-data is not quite the same for Volvo sx and OMC cobra, the sealing-kit for cobra did not fit 100%, and the trimcylindres began to leak after 6 month again.
New trim-cylindres were to expensive for me, and I contacted a Danish hydraulic company, which now develops a complete repairkit for Volvo SX-trimcylinder, and produces a tool to separate the cylinder.
Gaskets, tool and instruction wil be available in mid-September 2010.
If interested, I can write back when I have price and contact-details.

Best regards
Baskerwille

zbnutcase

Commander

Hi brl71989,

Do not throw out your SX-trimcylinder if the OMC kit does not fit. Help is on its way.
I had the same problem with both SX-cylindres. I replaced it with OMC sealing-kit, and it worked fine for a while. But since the target-data is not quite the same for Volvo sx and OMC cobra, the sealing-kit for cobra did not fit 100%, and the trimcylindres began to leak after 6 month again.
New trim-cylindres were to expensive for me, and I contacted a Danish hydraulic company, which now develops a complete repairkit for Volvo SX-trimcylinder, and produces a tool to separate the cylinder.
Gaskets, tool and instruction wil be available in mid-September 2010.
If interested, I can write back when I have price and contact-details.

Best regards
Baskerwille

Please do let us know!

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had a leaking trim cylinder on my SX drive (plating failed and took seal out). I made a spanner wrench and took apart and had a local plating shop strip and re-plate with nickel. Then took o-rings to local hydraulic shop and bought the replacement o-rings, has been several yrs now and still working like a champ. The shaft surface must be totally defect free of the seals will fail quickly.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Did you see this in your search here at iboats?;):)

Volvo does not officially offer a reseal kit for the SX trim cylinders. With that said, OMC does offer a reseal kit which I'm told will work to reseal the SX trim cylinders as the OMC cylinders were virtually identical. As a Volvo dealer, we do not reseal Volvo trim cylinders as that is not an approved method of repair, but one of our parts dept. personel advised me that he has sold the OMC trim cylinder reseal kits over the counter to other shops/individuals that will reseal Volvo trim cylinders.

It's worth a try, the OMC trim cylinder reseal kit part number is 985060 (cost is $27.25 plus tax) compared to a new Volvo SX trim cylinder which is ($472.50 plus tax each). I opened up one of the OMC reseal kits and it does come with instructions to reseal the cylinder. You will need a spanner wrench to remove the end cap of the trim cylinder to remove it and the inner rod to replace all the orings necessary.

I strongly suggest getting the cylinder repaired or replaced as soon as possible, if water is getting into the trim system due to the faulty seal, it may ultimately ruin the trim pump (expensive).

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/questions...-3-i-o-with-a-cobra-sx-outdrive#ixzz0lyIwGqCt

The kit works fine...with one exception...It tells you to make a sleeve from a pop can...I believe it states 2" in lenght when it actuall takes 3"... Show your mech this post and tell him a carsalesman did the job at work..between customers....:D....Takes 30 mins to do the job...eight grade stuff...

Just be sure to check the all surfaces for damage...this is high pressure fix and no scratches or nutball sanding should be done...to fix any irregularites

Glastron5

Recruit

Allright guys, I am a new user but a fairly capable shade-tree mechanic. I have a 2002 Glastron 205GX with the same Trim Cylinder seal issue described in the previous streams. Here is what I did...

After reading this post and deciding that I was willing to do it myself, I realized that I could do a lot of repairing for the 500 or so bucks that a new cylinder would have cost from VolvoPenta. I started with the purchase of a spanner wrench for my particular needs. (I suggest a 3" spanner wrench with 1/4" tips). After removal of the caps I noticed that the seal in question is a standard size O Ring available at just about any Hydraulic Shop you might have in town. I got mine at Hydraulic Controls which is a chain that is in many towns across America.

Replaced the O Rings, Filled with the fluid recommended by my Clymer Manual, and so far so good. The good news for me, and you, is that the total cost of the repair was under $100. Funny thing was, the manual I bought was $40 and the wrench was $20. I overpaid for the special VolvoPenta fluid, because the manual states that Dextron II ATF is an acceptable fluid for use. I probably could have dont the repair for about $20.

Hope this helps...

Glastron5:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.