2002 Volvo Penta 5.0 GxiB fuel pump

Greg in VA

Recruit
Hi, first time poster here. I have been experiencing the typical Volvo fuel pump whine and die problem that I am learning is a rather common issue. The small low pressure fuel pump will begin to whine and get hot after idling the motor for about 10 minutes. I can run WOT no problem but once going slow is will whine intermittently and die. Bugger to re-fire but eventually it will and we go on our way. I?ve read that other folks with similar problems have had their entire fuel pump system (i.e. both pumps) replaced. Last year when this started (I?ve had the boat for 3 years ? the first year no problems) I took it to the shop and they replaced the low pressure fuel pump but that did not fix the issue. At the end of the year I removed all the gas in the tank to attempt to minimize the long term ethanol storage problems. The end of the first year of owning the boat I filled the tank at the end of the year. This spring I replaced the fuel filter, put in new 92 octane gas, it started up perfectly, ran smooth, then the problem started all over again. I?ve read that other boaters (GTBecker, claytootie) took the fuel pump apart and cleaned a screen but I was not able to read how they took it apart and where the screen was. My fuel tank appears clean so I don?t think it is a pick up/blockage problem in the tank. If it was plugged then I don?t think I could run WOT. Anyway, it appears to NOT be a fuel pump issue since the new pump is doing the exact same thing as the old. One thing I did notice was that when I replaced the fuel filter the other day that at the top rim of the filter that touches the fuel assembly that the paint on the filter was dissolving (assume this is due to the ethanol). So?.. putting 2 and 2 together am I correct that there is a clog after the fuel filter and how do I find the screen that could be clogged and what else is there to clean? Thanks!