MSD Ignition Install on 2000 Volvo Penta 5.7l

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer
Hello!!!
Been awhile since I've logged in (almost forgot my password.. lol) Hope you all have been well!!;)
I dug the boat out and started installing some goodies I got over winter and I can't seem to get an MSD 6M-2 ignition to work
I have it hooked up with the magnetic trigger wires (white one taped) . My boat seems it's firing on all cylinders when I try to start it..
That leads me to believe that it's not a magnetic type distributor. I am told it's basically a HEI with remote mounted coil. Is that correct? There's a green and a purple wire coming out of it, which I have hooked up to the mag trigger wires on the MSD.
I have scoured MSD for info and it may appear I need to use the white points trigger wires instead of the magnetic trigger but that's for ford and a GM dual wire coil, maybe it applies?
Has anybody hooked one up to their newer Volvo Penta/SX boat?
Any help or info is appreciated.
MSD's site http://www.msdignition.com/Products...D_6M-2_Ignition_Control_Marine_Certified.aspx

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander
Re: MSD Ignition Install on 2000 Volvo Penta 5.7l

Yeah, I've got one on my 99 5.0L. Volvo's distributor is close to what MSD calls a 'Ready-to-Run distributor. The pick-up is NOT magnetic. It's a Hall effect and triggers the module inside of the distributor. The distributor then wires to the coil using two wires, one to coil POS and the other to coil NEG.

So yes, if you're following their instructions, you will use the 'white wire' or points installation when wiring it.

Remove all factory wires from the + side of the coil, those wires connect to the small red of the MSD. Return the small orange of the MSD to the coil +. Remove all wires from the - side of the coil and attach them to the small white wire of the MSD. Return the small black of the MSD to the coil.

When done, the only two wires physically touching the coil will be the small orange and black from the MSD.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I am curious why you would want to in the first place.

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, I've got one on my 99 5.0L. Volvo's distributor is close to what MSD calls a 'Ready-to-Run distributor. The pick-up is a Hall effect and triggers the module inside of the distributor. The distributor then wires to the coil using two wires, one to coil POS and the other to coil NEG.

So yes, if you're following their instructions, you will use the 'white wire' or points installation when wiring it.

Remove all factory wires from the + side of the coil, those wires connect to the small red of the MSD. Return the small orange of the MSD to the coil +. Remove all wires from the - side of the coil and attach them to the small white wire of the MSD. Return the small black of the MSD to the coil.

When done, the only two wires physically touching the coil will be the small orange and black from the MSD.

That GREAT!! Thank you!
I knew something was wrong when the motor kicked backwards and broke my starter... Snapped the nose off...:redface: Idiot move I know but it happened almost instantly..

I have a question...
On my + coil side, there is a red ignition wire and a purple wire to the dist.
On my - side, there is a green/red wire from the wire harness (suspect it goes to alt.) a white tach wire, and a green dist. wire.

I understand your instruction clearly, just wanted to double check colors.
Thanks again!!!!

BruceB--
Hey there!
My motor is carb'd, I put an edelbrock marine carb on it and it runs really well but I can't seem to dial in a rich situation at idle to 1200 rpm's. It's not bad but if this helps just a little, I will be pleased, plus it has a rev limiter that I have always wanted to install.
Have a great weekend all, I think it's gimble bearing time for me this weekend...:(

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

I have a question...
On my + coil side, there is a red ignition wire and a purple wire to the dist.
On my - side, there is a green/red wire from the wire harness (suspect it goes to alt.) a white tach wire, and a green dist. wire.

You neglected to ask your question...so I'm not sure what you're asking. Also I'm not sure I could answer specific wire color questions anyway because after my install I heat-shrink wrapped every connection in black, so not sure I could find wire colors anymore. But if you just follow the MSD instructions for points-type install, you've done it correctly. You'll need to refer to factory service manual wiring schematic if you have forgotten your starting point.

I will add this which I forgot to comment on yesterday, since you reminded me of the tach wire: You might want to simply abandon the factory tach wire back there by the coil, and instead utilize the tach output on the MSD. (Just run your own wire straight from MSD tach output on the box to the pickup terminal on the back of the tach) I can't recall exactly what my tach problem was, but I couldn't get it to read very well after installing the MSD until I did that. I think I remember it drifted sometimes. Maybe yours will work OK...unlike your experimental hookup that killed your starter (bummer), you can't hurt anything by trying the factory tach hookup first.

FWIW, adding MSD will not change or improve your rich condition. If you have a fuel mixture problem you have a carb problem, and you will not correct it at all by band-aiding with stronger/multiple sparks.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Why are you doing all of this it won't run any better.If it will make you feel good just put the MSD sticker on the boat!

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer

Installed!!! Thank YOU craze1 !!!
Runs noticeably smoother!! (maybe I am just blinded by the "snake oil" though..:cool:).. Starts like NOW... before I can let the key return!!:D
For the record, I had the boat "seatuned" and everything is dialed in but just couldn't get idle to lean out, tried jets, etcc. It's not bad and to someone that didn't know any better, it runs tops... I just always had spark boxes on my older carb'd vehicles and I am sold on them..
Thanks again!

robjen1019

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ive got to give my 2cents worth. I put a msd 6a box in my volvo 5.0 and I have found that it idles much smother and starts with a touch of the key.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

x2. I've found it does improve idle quality and provides quicker starts for most any motor. I even had a box on my old 3.0L (same one I now transfered to my new 5.0 Volvo), and it helps a bit.

But beyond slight idle improvement and faster starts, few will see many more benefits.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

There is no harness that will work for our Volvos in quesion, unless you also change the coil. The factory coils on our Volvos are the standard oil-filled cylinder-shaped towers, and such harnesses don't work on those. We have no option but to cut & splice.

However, MSD does make several types of plug-n-play harnesses that make it much easier to install MSDs on many Mercruiser setups, especially those that utilize the very common GM 2-connector coils.

cobalt1999

Petty Officer 2nd Class

However, MSD does make several types of plug-n-play harnesses that make it much easier to install MSDs on many Mercruiser setups, especially those that utilize the very common GM 2-connector coils.

I guess all Volvos are not the same, I am surprised that a 2000 would still use a oil filled coil.
I have the 5.0Gi WT which uses the common GM 2 connector coil.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Interesting. Then I may likely have been wrong for this poster's boat about the harness. Apparently varies by model number. All that I know for sure is that my 1999 5.0L PWTR was factory equipped with this setup:

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Dist...*****.420832664--store_id.366--view_id.312644

But no more. Same time I put the MSD box on, I actually converted mine to an MSD 2-connecter Blaster coil which I also had laying around...so I no longer have the above oil-filled setup on mine...and therefore I DID utilize the MSD harness for my particular install, and it is convenient.