Having Problems with over heating Aq 131 a Volvo penta

soadown45

Cadet
I have a 86 Bayliner with a Volvo Penta Aq 131 a. Heres my problem, and the things I have checked, Over heating, it can idle all day under any load it gets hot. I have checked, the Thermostat, and the Heat exchanger to make sure.things I find interesting, The Lower out let tube (from heat exchanger) to the Mechanical Circluating water pump is soft to the touch no pressure like with a car, Should that hose be stiff like a car radiator, I have the raw water system working very well actully I just got it where it has no leaks at all Water Flows in through the heat exchanger and out the exhaust, the exhaust manifold is not hot to the touch, is this an issue when the circulating water pump needs to be replaced or is it the heat exchanger or something else I have not of messed with yet, however if I take the hose off coolant runs from the exchanger out of the opening HELP ME PLEASE IM STUMPED:confused::confused::confused::confused::mad:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Having Problems with over heating Aq 131 a Volvo penta

however if I take the hose off coolant runs from the exchanger out of the opening

Ayuh,... Take Both ends off,+ stick a garden hose in each end to Flush it back,+ forth...
Same for the motor...

soadown45

Cadet

Can do I will give it a whirl first thing tomorrow, Thanks, any help is better than no help

soadown45

Cadet

Well flushed the block there was a little silcone from a leaking raw water pipe nothing major, Ran out of time today, Got a Volvo Penta Water pump going to install tommorow also a thought, The coolant in the heat exchanger looked calm, as in no current towards water pump or into the heat exchanger??? Well at least I got a water pump to throw at it!!!!

soadown45

Cadet

Well another day, I installed the water pump (which is salty) if you don't know how to cross reference, any how the temp readings were still about the same how ever, I took an lazer thermomter and shot the exhaust 75 dergess external temp then i took a probe thermometer and checked the heat exchanger the temp @ 4000 RPM was 175.6 degrees the same as idle I think I have a bad temp gauge though Im not denying that It got hot for some reason I did notiice the heat exchanger coolant was moving this time at least a little and water was moving through the block!!!

captmello

Captain

those engines are supposed to run at 175-190 deg.

soadown45

Cadet

Im good now thank you to this forum and anybody that helped me I will help any body out just the same thanks and happy boating