Volvo 5.0 GXI-C replace fuel pump still stalling

I am having problem with my fuel system. We just put a new high pressure fuel pump in. The old one was only producing 18 psi. the new does 52 psi sitting and shows over 100 psi when running. The problem is after about 5 minute of running fine. the pressure begins to drop and motors rmp surge up and down then it stalls. then pressure goes to 52 psi. I was also told to blow threw the seawater line where is it? and best way to blow threw it?

All help is appreciated

Re: Volvo 5.0 GXI-C replace fuel pump still stalling

well my mechanic just finished doing the tests Don S. recommended the mechanics conclusion in that there is paint and/or varnish clogging the low pressure pump. he cleaned a little out and it ran a little better but slowly stalled out instead of a sudden drop it was doing after 3-4 minutes. Is there a way to cleaning the inside of the low pressure pump. or do I spent $700 and get the new one. Do they sell a aftermarket?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

no aftermarket.
yes we are having paint dissolving issues with fuel cells made before about march of 2010.
yes the new cells are not painted just make sure the number thats looked at on the computer gets superceded.
the 100 PSI is because the fuel pressure regulator screen is clogged with paint.
clean it.
you may also end up sending your injectors out to have the filters replaced.
I am waiting on a class action as this issue has been around a long time.

Well here is a follow up to the problem. I when ahead purchased a new lower pressure fuel filter. Which you also get the high pressure unit as well.
Well that cured the problem. Now that engine runs fine. We took the old one apart and it had paint chip and other grim stuff in the screens. If anyone else has this problem just replace the whole unit. its $659 but includes both pumps. My other engine in having a similiar problem so my mechnic is putting new o-ring and re sealing the old pump to see if the old pump (now clean) will work. I let you all now.

shaweet

Recruit

We are having the same type of symptom where the engines will not start 2003 Four Winns with two 5.0 gxi-c engines. DH believes the problem to be in the fule system and possibly the fuel pumps more specifically.

Andria Garlick - Once you cleaned the old fuel pump and the mechanic replaced the o-ring and resealing, did it work ok?

Where is the seawater line that you are supposed to blow threw???
Thanks,
BT

I HAVE A 2003 CHAPARRAL 240 SHGNATURE WITH AN VOLVO PENTA 5.0 GXI-B THE PROBLEM IS I START IT IT RUNS FOR 2 TO 3 SEC THEN CUT OFF, IF WE FORCE TO START IT WITH THE THROTTLE I CAN GOT IT TO RUN AN 1600 RPM AND IT RUN GREAT AS SOON AS I TOUCH THE THODDLE I CUT OUT. WE CHANGE THE DISTRIBUTOR AND ROTOR WE CHECK THE FUEL IT'S OK AND THE PRESSURE IT'S 6O LB ON THE HIGH AND 4- 6 ON THE LOW AND HOLD, WE CHANGED THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR AND NO CHANGE, CHECK ALL CONNECTON ON THE ENGINE FUEL TESTED AND IT PERFECTED..... PLEASE NEED SOME HELP.....