Volvo 5.0 GL 2002 Fuel system

stuartboater

Seaman
I pulled off the spark plug wire from the distributor and I can see spark from the wire that goes to the plugs.

Thought I was out of gas at first. I put in a spare 6 gal but it still did not start.

Gas is new,
fresh fuel filter.
no water in the oil.
Seems to be getting spark
Any ideas before I spend hours on this for no good reason?
I posted in the electronics section

Just cant find anyone with experience with this.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=390664

boat127

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Volvo 5.0 GL 2002 Fuel system

i would check to see if the anti siphon valve is gummed up with crap its right on the take pick up its where the fuel line coming off the tank is attached to

stuartboater

Seaman

Thanks very much

I suspect it to be clean but I will for sure check it.

The fuel pump does not seem to have a fuse, but a relay on it. I pulled it out cleaned the tips and put it back in.

The relays are the same ones that are used in the trim drive. I put one of them in and tested and it still didnt start.

I wont have the grace of having guages and fancy tools, just a basic 128 piece tool kit so its real back home back yard testing.

If I disconnect the fuel line from the carb and turn on the key then fuel should pump out. Is that correct???
If it dosent then is it correct that I should order a fuel pump?

boat127

Petty Officer 2nd Class

take some fuel line with an outboard primer bulb attached and hook one end onto the antisiphon valve and put the other end into a gas can and pump the bulb and see if your picking up any fuel

stuartboater

Seaman

take some fuel line with an outboard primer bulb attached and hook one end onto the antisiphon valve and put the other end into a gas can and pump the bulb and see if your picking up any fuel

Thats great advise. Real back yard stuff :)

I hope this is the problem
But its got to be totally clogged if it is as it wont even sputter so I am guessing its not pulling fuel if its getting spark.

I just dont want to spend 200 bucks for a fuel pump I may not need, so I am trying to explore all possibilities.

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The VP gets voltage from the alt when running and starter circuit when cracking. Since shut down while running has to be relay, or the alt (or pump). The pumps do sometimes go bad but def troubleshoot properly before spending the $$. Don S. has posted VP factory manuals in the adults only section.

stuartboater

Seaman

20159_big.gif
The VP gets voltage from the alt when running and starter circuit when cracking. Since shut down while running has to be relay, or the alt (or pump). The pumps do sometimes go bad but def troubleshoot properly before spending the $$. Don S. has posted VP factory manuals in the adults only section.

So it dosent prime gas to the carb at starting.
I disconnected the fuel line at the carb inlet, put the line in a bucket, turned on the key, cranked it a few times, and no gas came out.

I then disconnected the fuel line from the bottom of the fuel pump, siphoned on it and had free unrestricted flow from the gas tank.

First of all, remove the relay from the socket so you can do some tests.
Ignition switch off
1. Check between terminal 30 and 86. You should have battery voltage.
2. Make a jumper wire, and jump between terminals 30 and 87. The pump should run if you had power in step 1.
3. If the pump doesn't run, leave the jumper wire between terminals 30 and 87, and disconnect the fuel pump wire connector. (Push in on the wire lock and pull down). With your meter, check across the terminals of the two pins in the plug. You should show battery voltage. Do you? Any corrosion? Did the pump start running when you were moving the connector around

Problems is I dont know where terminal 30 86 and 87 are.

stuartboater

Seaman

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I pulled off the spark plug wire from the distributor and I can see spark from the wire that goes to the plugs.

Thought I was out of gas at first. I put in a spare 6 gal but it still did not start.

Gas is new,
fresh fuel filter.
no water in the oil.
Seems to be getting spark
Any ideas before I spend hours on this for no good reason?
I posted in the electronics section

Just cant find anyone with experience with this.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=390664

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Did you download the manuals for your engine as mikeneal suggested?
Problems is I dont know where terminal 30 86 and 87 are.
The manuals shows you where they are.

I Also moved your other post on the same question to this forum and closed it. Please don't post the same problem in different forums.

stuartboater

Seaman

Thank you for the Help Don Great adult section for help

I found a schematic for the 5.0 GL - F
Its close but just does not seem to be correct but found the doc release that contains the corrections.

http://www.4shared.com/file/90016659/5698df61/7745609_Wiring_Diagram_06_Eng.html

I understand that by jumpering I am trying to find out if there is power getting to the connector. It seems to be be getting power, There is no corosion and I have installed a new relay

Question is If I have power to the connector post fuel pump relay, and the fuel pump will power when taken off the system and connected to a single pos and neg ternimal why wont it spin when hooked up

The 25 amp fuse is good at the master fuse box. It works and the circut is complete as I accidently shorted the circut when jumpping the relay causing the fuse to blow.

Its got me puzzled.
Would a partial failure of the Starter relay cause the fuel pump to now work?
The alternator line that connects to the fuel pump relay is hot during engine cranking.

Don S

What is your engines full model number or serial number. Without that it's just a bunch of Try this or that answers.

stuartboater

Seaman

Its a 5.0 GL-A
I dont have the serial number here as it is at the dock.

5.0GL-A Gasoline Sterndrive 220 V-8 2001

Don S

Go back up to the Adults only sticky and download the manual 7743606 GL- GS A thru E wiring diagrams. Bet it fits when you use the right manual.

stuartboater

Seaman

Much better.
Crap can you believe the idiots that come in here and ask questions? <<<<<

There is a hot wire that comes off of the Selenoid. It goes to the starter relay then feeds to the fuel pump relay.

If the starter relay is bad, would you expect the fuel pump to run?

Would the starter still turn if the starter relay was bad?

I am starting to think the wire off the selenoid could be the problem but I am just guessing. I need the help of someone more experiened than I.

Could it be a partial selenoid failure? the pin that the relay wire goes to? or a partial broken wire.

The wire from the selonoie is under the engine so its possible as I cant visualize the entire run. It looks ok from what I can see.

The only other thing I can see are the diodes. I wouldnt think them to be an issue.

Any input at this time is better than what I have

Thanks everyone

Don S

Did you check the 10A fuse (item #14 in the wiring diagram?).

Now, go back to your reply #7, use the red text and check out your system.
Also download item #6. 7743454 Elec, Carb, Ign 3.0-5.7 and go through the fuel systems section of that manual.
Also, if you look at post #7 that red text came from a post I did at one time. There was also a picture with it and a lot more information. You could have posted a link to it, and it would have made it easier to reference.

Those Volvo fuel pumps are notorious for failing. Let me know if that is the issue after all the checks. We are a Volvo service dealer here in Alaska and I can tell you I replace quite a few of them after we get the no start call out.

Don S

They may go bad, but usually because of water or air leaks. I would also hope you check things out first before just throwing a pump in it. Things like wiring, diodes, relays, etc.

ECVCHAMP

Seaman

I had the same problem on my 2008, turned out to be a bad alternator. Purple wire not sending signal to fuel pump(if engine dies this shuts off fuel pump).

Does your boat have a carb or throttle body? I assume it is a throttle body setup, you mentioned that you changed the fuel filter; did you prime it? Are you getting spray from the injectors? Can you please clarify if it is carb or FI?

stuartboater

Seaman

Ok still looking at this issue

I have checked each wire and fuse.
All the wires to the fuel pump relay are good.
All the fuses up to the fuel pump relay are good.
I replaced the fuel pump relay
The 50 amp breaker is good

There is 1 wire from the Starter Selonoid to the starter relay then out to the fuel pump relay. I replaced the starter relay although it was good.

There is a 7.5 amp fuse for the fuel pump (is good) and a 40 amp fuse for the starter relay (is good)

When I jump 30 to 87 on the fuel pump relay I get the pump to spin. It does work with power.

According to the Volvo Penta manual the fuel pump should get power when the key is turned on (is this true) if so it does not.

The power lines to the fuel pump combines a line from the starter relay, which is used to provide power to prime the pump pre starting, then it switches over to a green line from the alternator which provides power to the fuel pump during operation.

Since I cannot get power to the fuel pump when the key is on, then I would suspect it is a problem with the Starter Selonoid?

But

Since the problem happend during normal operation I also think it could be the alternator.

As I stated i dont get power when the key is on, and when I crank the engine, I do not get fuel to the carb.

Any thoughts