Need help on replacing a water pump in lower unit of an 03 Glastron volvo penta

I have an 03 Glastron and really need help on how to replace the water pump in the lower unit. I don't want to take it in cause they charge a lot. I am wondering if you have to pull the whole lower unit or if there is an easy way to get to it. Also if I have to drain some fluids. Anything will help even if someone has step by step instructions on how to replace it.

Thanks
Scott

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need help on replacing a water pump in lower unit of an 03 Glastron volvo penta

There is no raw water pump in any Volvo outdrive.
Please post the full model number of your engine, or the SN.

Re: Need help on replacing a water pump in lower unit of an 03 Glastron volvo penta

I don't recall the model number cause the boat is at my buddies but I was told that there is a water pump on the engine then another impeller in the lower unit

Don S

but I was told that there is a water pump on the engine then another impeller in the lower unit

Well, who ever "Told" you that, doesn't know what he's talking about.

zbnutcase

Commander

Nope. You have a belt driven raw water pump on the engine along with the circ pump on the engine as well. NO volvo had water pump in the drive!!! 'nutcase

ok I located the waterpump that is belt driven where is the other one located?

Don S

In this forum we need to know what engine and drive you have. Boat type means nothing. You very well may have 2 belt driven pump.
03 Glastron volvo penta tells us nothing.

Ok here is what the paper work on the boat says:
2003 glastron, model# GX185sf,

Engine: 2003 volvo engine id# 4012078390

Is this all you need?

Don S

There is no "other one". The raw water pump (not the circulation pump) on a volvo is engine mounted.

In automotive lingo, a water pump is what we in the marine industry call a Circulation pump. He may not know that ............. YET.

I have a SN now, be back shortly.

Don S

Ok, your engine model number is a 5.0LGL-B the outdrive is a SX-M with a 1.60: 1 gear ratio.
The raw water pump is bolted to the front of the crankshaft.
The circulation pump is belt driven and in the automotive world is known as a water pump.

Click here and you can download the manuals for your engine and drive (Free)

Go to the 2001-2006 engines and download manuals 4,6, and 7. Then scroll on down to the drive section and get the 2001-2001 drive manual.

Your cooling system will be in the #4 engine manual.

I need to know what i need to do to change the rubber impeller blade and where it is located

Ok cool thanks alot i will let you know if i have any problems