1988 berretta w/ volvo 131 a ign. wiring

kkstoy

Recruit
HI,Just got a 88 berretta with volvo 131a mtr. Question is what wires supposed to run to pos. side of ign,. coil.Prev. owner took out electronic conv. kit said he had red lead from kit hooked to purple wire lying about wher dinser wouldve went on dist. And black lead from elct.kit ran to coil pos. that just dosent sound rt. W ant to put points back in but, wiring diagram shows lead from ign. switch to coil pos.as well as lead from dist to condinser. Problem is i only have 1 wire its purple ands long enough to lay by were condiser would go.do i need to know if that wires for coil pos. or condinser. C ant find any other wires in that area. looked at wiring on a 1983 125 aq had 2 purple wires 1 to condinser one to pos coil .also this one has a purple and a gray hooked to neg coil term. just dont know where wire to pos. is . thanks in advance . ernie

captmello

Captain
Re: 1988 berretta w/ volvo 131 a ign. wiring

Welcome to Iboats.:)

Sounds like an easy enough fix.

Go to this link and downlosd the OEM manuals for your engine and drive. You should also find a wiring diagram in the engine manual.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2360521#post2360521

The purple goes to the Pos. terminal on the coil and the lead from the condenser goes to the neg. side along with the grey which is the tach wire.

Note, check your coil to see if it is internally resisted, if not you would have to add a ballast resistor in the purple circuit. Also some systems have two purple wires, both go to the pos terminal, one from the starter and one from the ignition circuit. The wire in the ignition circuit is the one that would have to be resisted if the coil is not resisted internally.

The coil on my boat, same year and make, says right on it that it needs to have an external resistor. Many change to an internal resistor coil when they convert to electronic ignition.

Sounds confusing, hope it helps.

kkstoy

Recruit

So if im getting this right both purple wires go on pos not one on negative like he has . Gray wires on negative .Do i just run a new wire from condinser to negitive side of coil after putting purple wire he has on neg. to pos. term? thanks for the help im just confused as to why he has purple lead on neg side of coil wiring diagram shows only gray not purple. thank you for all the help. ernie

captmello

Captain

I can't see it from here.:confused:

I looked at the wiring diagram, it does show a purple from the dist joining the grey wire from the tach at the main plug, so...yes, you may have a purple on both posts of the coil.

You need to find where the wires are coming from. If one of the purple wires is coming from the side of the distributer/condenser, than it would go to the neg post on the coil.

kkstoy

Recruit

HI, Thanks for al the help got it going now.