Volvo Penta Shifting Problems

Buzzcutter

Recruit
I really hope someone can help me with this issue.

I own a 2004 Glastron 175 MX which is powered by a 3.0 Volvo Penta with an SX Stern Drive. To date the boat operated to perfection. I have performed standard maintenance religiously. Last year the Gimbal Bering was replaced and all maintenance was completed. This year I took the boat out of storage to prepare it for the water. The engine runs great. However, I am having problems shifting from Neutral, Reverse, and Forward.

Here is the issue. I start the engine and the propeller rotates forward. The propeller rotates while the shifter is supposed to be in Neutral. When I shift to forward, the propeller will sometimes stop and sometimes not. Also, the propeller will turn in reverse when it is supposed to be in forward and in forward when it is supposed to in reverse. There is not a consistency to the issue.

You can turn off the engine and restart and the problems will be different.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be would be greatly appreciated. I am handy with the tools but in no way a mechanic. I am going to a boat mechanic but I really would like some ideas about what the problem is before dropping off the boat.

Thank you,

Buzz

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta Shifting Problems

Removel the plastic cover off the back of the drive. move the shifter and see if the shift mechanism is moving with the shifter.

Buzzcutter

Recruit
Re: Volvo Penta Shifting Problems

Thanks, the problem was evident after I took off the plastic cover. The shifting cable retaining clip was not properly reinstalled after the gimbal bearing was replaced. I loosed the bolt and properly attached the cable to the clip, slid the clip all the way over, and retignted the bolt.

Now that I had the problem do I need to worry about any other problems. I tested the boat shifting cable and everything worked fine. Do I need to worry about any damage to the cable itself or adjustment issues.

Thanks,

Buzz