Volvo 280T outdrive, reverse not locking.

rubrbulits

Recruit
I bought this 72 Hydrodyne a few years back and installed a rebuilt 302 in it. The outdrive never has locked down in reverse. I have just put up with it for the last few years. None of the hydraulics for tilt and trim work either. Now, I finally have removed the outdrive and after lots of bad info and failed research the problem seems to be that all of the reverse linkage parts and rods are missing. The rod that moves in and out to engage or dis-engage reverse lock works fine, but thats all there is. I still cant find any schematics for the 280T or any available parts, new or used. I really want to get this to lock in reverse. What are my options here? Thanks.

Attachments

• hyrodyne outdrive 001.jpg
    hyrodyne outdrive 001.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo 280T outdrive, reverse not locking.

The whole lockdown mechanism is missing from the drive, no wonder it doesn't lockdown.
You can head up to the Adults only or DIY sticky at the top of this forum and downlload the 280 manual, it shows the lockdown mechanism, don't really have anything on the trim system itself.

chiswick pride

Recruit
Re: Volvo 280T outdrive, reverse not locking.

Hi there
Does your 280T have the main hydraulic ram on the inside on top of the transom mount?
If it is then dont worry it doesnt have all the manual reverse lock out mechanism like most people think
goto the adult only list on the inboard forum by Don S & download the 270T drive manual
I have just recently gone through this with my boat project & this manual was a godsend as it explains it all .
as for overhauling dont bother with volvo as most parts are no longer available & hugely expensive! goto a hydraulic seal supplyer who should have all the parts you need, just dissasemble carefully & methodically.I reconditioned mine for under $50 !