4cy Volvo, top throttle RPM's

Kevinmcm

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1983 Bayliner Capri with a 4cy volvo penta 270 in it, I recently took it on its first maiden voyage (to me) and noticed it would only top out about 2200 to 2500 RPM's, and my top water speed was about 35. It seems a little low to me< was wondering what it should be and what my prob could be. I dont have any hesitation or problems planing or sput or coughs, just a low rpm (to me I guess), was thinking throttle linkage needs adjusted? I recently purchased this and this seems to be my only problem :) Thank you for all responses!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 4cy Volvo, top throttle RPM's

Depends on the model engine you have, but assuming you have the 125 since Bayliner used a lot of them back then, the WOT rpm is 4700-5000.

Kevinmcm

Seaman Apprentice

I did forget to mention, i had this boat in and had it serviced before it hit the water, new carb kit and new plugs, new lower unit oil and oil in motor. I am not sure of prop size or pitch, will have to check that out when near boat, sorry

Don S

You may have a tach problem, you wouldn't be doing 35 with that engine at 2500 rpm.

Kevinmcm

Seaman Apprentice

i never thought of that, thank you, I will check it out. I used TomTom to check my speedo and top water speed, so I know speedo is correct. Does that sound about right for top speed on this boat? 16' with two passengers, about 300 pounds, and no gear really. Just askin for a guess:p

Kevinmcm

Seaman Apprentice

I noticed when i put it in nuetral, it will tach up higher and tach reads what seems appropriate. I also notice motor does rev higher when in nuetral.

Don S

I noticed when i put it in nuetral, it will tach up higher and tach reads what seems appropriate. I also notice motor does rev higher when in nuetral.

Listen to it, bet you can hear it speed up (sounds different) can't you.