Volvo Coil/Ignition Problem

khedgpeth

Cadet
I have a 1997 Larson 206SEI with a Volvo Penta 5.0 GL with the SX outdrive. Had the motor rebuilt by a friend of mine. After the rebuild, it fired right up in his shop (only let it run a mili-second). After putting it in the water however, we could not get it to start. Well, it would start but then when the ignition was released it would quit. He found that it was not getting fire to the coil. We ran a wire from the battery to the coil and it fired right up and ran as long as we wanted. He set the timing but the temp would never register. I suspect an impeller problem. The mystery is the coil. Is this an ignition problem or is their some safety device that is causing it not to stay cranked?

Replies appreciated.

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo Coil/Ignition Problem

Sounds like you don't have something wired correctly if it is not running without a jumper wire and gauges are not working correctly.....

khedgpeth

Cadet

Isn't this the only impeller on the boat? Located on the front of the motor?

Attachments

• ScreenShot034.jpg
    ScreenShot034.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The impeller is not keeping your gauge from working, or your engine from running, and neither is your coil.
Do you have a safety kill switch with a lanyard on it?
What is the full model number of your engine, it should be 5.0GLXXXX with some more letters where the x's are. Need those letters. Year of the boat doesn't help with the engine year.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

sounds like the stop lanyard is pulled.

khedgpeth

Cadet

The lanyard was attached to the kill switch, (unless the switch is bad). We checked the gauges they worked. Water was not being pumped through the engine (we pulled the hoses afterward). I suspect a bad impeller. I was told there was one in the lower unit by someone but i thought it was behind the pump in front of the motor. The full model number is 5.0GLPWTR.
Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The ignition switch or the kill switch could be bad or even the engine connector or fuse on the engine. With the manual and the wiring diagram start following the power from the key switch to the coil.

5.0GLP WT R see what I mean about years, your engine is a 99 model The WT is the desgnator for year model. Wonder if it got repowered? Maybe lost an engine under warrenty or something.
See if you have the 10 digit serial numbers for the engine and the outdrive. Maybe I can find out some of the past.

Unless someone has stuck a Mercruiser Alpha outdrive on it, Volvo has never used a pump in the outdrive. Only Mercruiser and OMC 93 and earlier.
The impeller you showed is the proper one.
Be sure to head up to the Adults only sticky and download the OEM manuals. You may need them.

khedgpeth

Cadet

I posted that it was a 97 Larson, it is actually a 99, so the motor does match. The serial # is 4112066542 for the motor. I got the water pump housing off and the impeller was shredded. Having difficulty getting it off. I havent taken the seats out yet and was trying to get it off without taking the seats out. Is there a pin that holds the impeller in place? I ran out of time last night. Was going to get a mirror and try to see if it is pinned somehow from the front (seats blocking view). If i get a new impeller that should fix that problem, then on to the coil not getting fire issue. I suspect a bad safety switch.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the pump is pressed to the crank pully. DO NOT try to remove the pump from the body.remove the pump bracket,remove the two hoses, pull the 4 screws from the pump body, remove the impeller.
reverse to reinstall.
the VP pump kit comes with instructions and a tube of impeller lube.

cr2k

Captain

Sometimes you need to take 2 screw drivers and pry it out. Careful not to damage the housing.

Does your ign. coil have a purple wire (internal resistor coil) or a brown wire connected to the + post?
Have you checked voltage at the + post with key on?

ECVCHAMP

Seaman

My 08 Reinell with Volvo 220(305 V8) had a similar problem last year. The alternator went bad and when the shop replaced it I picked it up and we went ot the lake for the weekend. Lanched the boat, started it and it would run for a few seconds and die. Turns out the fuel pump gets a signal from the purple wire on the alt. so if the engine dies the fuel pump shuts down. Another new alt. and all is good.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

My 08 Reinell with Volvo 220(305 V8) had a similar problem last year. The alternator went bad and when the shop replaced it I picked it up and we went ot the lake for the weekend. Lanched the boat, started it and it would run for a few seconds and die. Turns out the fuel pump gets a signal from the purple wire on the alt. so if the engine dies the fuel pump shuts down. Another new alt. and all is good.
If you happen to read the first post, if he jumpers his coil, his engine runs so it is not the alternator.

ECVCHAMP

Seaman

If you happen to read the first post, if he jumpers his coil, his engine runs so it is not the alternator.

Yes, you are correct but, what I am telling him is that when he jumps power to the coil(purple wire) he may also be feeding it back to the fuel pump due to the "safety" systems on newer boats. I'm just sayin.;)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Yes, you are correct but, what I am telling him is that when he jumps power to the coil(purple wire) he may also be feeding it back to the fuel pump due to the "safety" systems on newer boats. I'm just sayin.;)
Nope...doesn't work that way. Fuel pump relay only gets power from the alternator or the starter solenoid during start.