Volvo Heat Exchanger Housing leaking

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer
This is on my AQ125A and is the hard plastic housing on the top of the heat exchanger. The old one had a crack in it so I picked up the same part no. on ebay. Easy to replace. But the base of the new (used part) does not mate up completely with the metal H/E so water leaks out.

Looks like I have two choices:
try to sand or grind the base of the housing to fit flush or find a permatex or some other sealing compound and seal up the joining surface.

What would you suggest?
What product can I use to seal the surface, which would be the easiest solution , I think.

thanks,

Joe

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Volvo Heat Exchanger Housing leaking

Yes #12 and I did replace the seal. It is a tough fit too but the seal does not seem to work right and I get a steady stream from two places. I am thinking about using a Permatex product to create a good seal. Do you think that would work? Something that will seal plastic and aluminum?

I think the base of the plastic housing is warped, someone on another forum suggested this part might have come off an engine that overheated and warped. Could be since it was an ebay purchase.
Joe

captmello

Captain

Yes #12 and I did replace the seal. It is a tough fit too but the seal does not seem to work right and I get a steady stream from two places. I am thinking about using a Permatex product to create a good seal. Do you think that would work? Something that will seal plastic and aluminum?

I think the base of the plastic housing is warped, someone on another forum suggested this part might have come off an engine that overheated and warped. Could be since it was an ebay purchase.
Joe

I use permatex #3 aircraft gasket sealent on everything. If the part is warped than who knows. Might be worth try.

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks I will give #3 a try I have nothing to lose I guess.

Joe