Volvo 280 outdrive, shift cable bellows?

bluecollerboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have recently purchased a 1985 bayliner ciera with a volvo aq260a engine and 280 outdrive. My outdrive does not have a shift cable bellows. I will be putting it in the water in the next month or so. If it does need a shift cable bellows, that would be bad. Thanks in advance for any help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo 280 outdrive, shift cable bellows?

The Volvo drives do not have a shift cable bellows. They use a hose on the inside of the boat to keep the water out of the boat.
Have you made sure the ujoint bellows is good? That's more important, and are only good for a few years.
You can also go up to the Adults Only sticky at the top if this forum, and there are OEM manuals for your outdrive, and engine.

bluecollerboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes the u joint bellows are in good shape.When i turn the prop by hand everything moves smoothly and is quiet in neutral, should i put it in gear and try turning it? the exhaust bellows are ripped so i will be replacing them.

bluecollerboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also had the guy i bought it from run the engine on muffs and put it in forward and reverse. no clunks or screeches.

captmello

Captain

should i put it in gear and try turning it?

I wouldn't worry about that.

You've got the same drivetrain as me. Hope all goes well with it. Make sure your temp guage is working. Always a good idea to keep a close eye on things the first time out.

FYI, your raw water pump impeller on the front of the crankshaft should be changed out every two years, same with the ujoint bellows. Let us know how the first voyage goes and if you have any other questions.:)

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class

I`d suggest to replace the U-joint bellow together with the exhaust bellow when you`r at it.
Don`t forget to grease the intermediate shaft bearing. (see manual)