No Spark Volvo Penta 4.3GL

Reinell185

Cadet
Hi Guys.

Thought I would try my hand at a forum post to see if I can get my Penta sorted, before I take it to the machanic.
Engine is Volvo Penta 4.3ltrGL 190hp V6 Carby 1997 stermdrive. It has EST ignition and a 2bbl std carby. Was running well last weekend and it died out on the water. Cut a long story short, here is what I have done so far.
Replaced Coil. Replaced Ignition Control Module. Replaced fuel pump. Checked all ignition components as per the Seloc Manual and check status is good. Checked all fuses and wiring to the engine. Checked power to all breakers & relays to be present as per Seloc diags. Double checked the wiring loom from Ignition coil (4 wires) to the distributor pick up coil, buzzed with multimeter & test light, ok. Checked distributor coil pick up with multimeter as per Seloc, not grounded, not shorting, so tests ok.

Problem is that I have no spark, either from an earthed test plug from one of the 6 cylinders fro dist cap, or direct high tension wire from the coil to ground. Motor cranks ok, and plenty of fuel getting through, also is a new fuel pump, so its not fuel problem, definatly electrical. I changed the Ignition control module as I thought the trigger signal to the ignition coil from this may have been suspect, but still no spark. Plugs and leads are good and have also checked microswitch & wiring in the selector controls to be good. Wiring has been checked using circuit diagrams, test light & multimeter, unless there is a hidden broken fuse somewhere, I am stumped!!
I have read a lot of posts, and tried a lot of tips taken from them, but not able to rectify the problem.

Cheers Andy.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: No Spark Volvo Penta 4.3GL

Turn the ignition switch to the run position, do you have power to the purple wire to the coil? If not, do you have an emergency kill switch (lanyard), is so check the switch.
If not, start at the purple wire on the ignition switch and find out where the power stops.
If you go up to the Adults Only sticky at the top of this forum, you can download the OEM manuals for your engine.

Reinell185

Cadet

Hi Don,
Thank you for your help, it is appreciated. I have been able to trace the problem and rectify it. The purple wire has 12volts power, as I checked this when testing the input to the coil to be valid. The problem was that the power from the coil (pink wire) only had 11 volts, (needs 12v)which would not allow the trigger in the module to tell the coil to fire, if that makes sense to you. This pink wire has a component in line called a inductor, which has obviously gone bad. A hot wire (bypass the inductor) around this has fixed the problem and engine runs fine now. From reading the Seloc manual, it states that if this part of the loom fails, then it needs to be replaced, which I will do shortly. The inductor is used to protect against RFI interference. I will now do a search on some info for the RFI to familiarise myself with it.
Cheers Andrew.

havasuboatman

Ensign

Andrew,
glad you got her going.
I would suggest you take Don's advice about downloading the OEM manual from the link in the adults only section. Seloc isn't the best manual to rely on.

Reinell185

Cadet

Hi there,

Please excuse me if this seems odd, but I cant locate the Adults Only section or links to the manuals. Can you guys help out here.

On another note, I noticed that you reside in Lake Havasu AR, which is where my boat came from last year. The boat is now with me in Melbourne, Australia, small world eh.

Cheers Andrew.

Reinell185

Cadet

Not much luck in researching the RFI component.

Can anyone confirm that it is used to cut down Radio Interference, audible Engine static etc,if you have say, and Marine radio or sound system on board.

Assuming its use is this, Is this component needed if no radio or sound system on board? Also no luck in finding the link to the manuals.

Cheers, Andrew.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You don't need to worry about any RFI components. If you are talking about the inductor in the short wiring harness from the coil to the distributor, stop trying to invent new tests and things to worry about. DO the tests in the OEM service manual and you will be led to the cause of your no spark situation.
If you go to the link fishinpa just posted, it's inside the Adults only section. You will need the model number to find the correct manual, year only gives you the year of the boat, not the year of the engine.

Reinell185

Cadet

Thanks Don,
Yes it is the inductor in the short wiring harness. Not trying to invent new tests, just wanted to know if this inductor is really needed. I have confirmed that the inductor is bad and is the cause of no spark. If I cut the inductor out of the loom and replace with solid wire, engine runs fine.

Cheers Andrew. :)