volvo 270 has reverse but no forward

andycoops

Recruit
Hey guys,
i'm wondering if anyone could please help me out with a bit of advice here... i've just installed a 270 leg with a b20 engine. I thought it was all going along smoothly, and it starts and runs fine. so far so good -right.

Well then i've taken it down to the water for the test drive, it reversed off the trailer into the water just fine, except for one wee problem, no forwards!
So, basically the prop does spin in both forwards and reverse gears, but when applying acceleration in forwards it goes no where- no thrust whatsoever.

I Have set the linkages up so i have full forward and full reverse. I'm tending to think it could be in the cone clutch- could some one please advise?

thanks heaps,
andy

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo 270 has reverse but no forward

Disconnecte the cable from the outdrive and manually turned the shift mechanism to see if it will go into reverse without the cable attached?
Check the oil level of the gear lube with the dipstick, is it at the proper level? Is the oil milky by any chance? That would indicate water .

andycoops

Recruit

thanks for the ideas
I have checked oil its ok no milk and right oil level
have manually turned the shift mechanism into reverse and the motor turns over by hand when using the prop but manually turned the shift mechanism forwards it slips and the moter stay still
thanks again Don S

Don S

Then it's time to have the upper gear box disassembled, inspected and repaired. It's probably going to need a new spacer ring and keepers on the lower bearing, and probably a shift cone.Then it will need reshimmed.

andycoops

Recruit

thank Don
just one more thing
i just drained the oil out of the leg and it has smell like 80/90 gear oil is it supposed to be this or is it to be 20/30 motor gear

if so it is 20 /30 oil could this be why it is slipping

thank again

andy

Don S

the 270 should be running 30W motor oil, not gear lube, unless it was converted to a duo prop, then it would use gear lube.