Need Help Removing My Volvo Penta DP-A Outdrive ??

captmello

Captain
Re: Need Help Removing My Volvo Penta DP-A Outdrive ??

Different part numbers. 275 pivot pin part number is "853175", DP series part number is "872493". I believe they're the same length and diameter. The DP-A pivot pin has a threaded hole in the center in which you attach the 5/16 bolt with a large washer. Next step is to close the fingers of the slide hammer over the washer and pull the pin. The twin Hydraulic trim cylinders are in the way of driving the pin though, thus it must be pulled.

Good Point, however after rechecking, the part you mentioned is for the DP-C and not listed for the DP-A.

Anyway, it sounds like it would be obvious to the original poster which pin he's got. If there is a threaded hole or just the slot on the end of the pin.

gsrsol84mm - You'll have to settle this for us.:)

gsrsol84mm

Seaman Apprentice

The pin has BOTH a cross slot and threaded center. We tried to use slide hammer but no luck. Really put some power into it but not budging. I thought we should remove to pins and clean them up to stop binding. Not sure what keeps the pins lubricated. Looks like the whole drive pivots on the pins.
Should be try and remove them or just leave the lower unit on the boat ?
We wanted to try and replace as many seals and o-rings the we could easily do to stop water intrusion.
When replacing u-joints do we just replace the u-joints themselves or that whole knuckle with the u-joints ??

We removed the motor today using a forklift with a homemade cherry picker arm. Came out quite easily. Now we can get back to the outdrive and see what we have to do.

FORKLIFT READY TO PULL MOTOR
BoatEngineRemoval001.jpg

MOTOR HOOKED UP TO CHAIN
BoatEngineRemoval002.jpg

OUT SHE GOES
BoatEngineRemoval004.jpg

ONE DEAD RUSTY MOTOR
BoatEngineRemoval008.jpg

REAR HOUSING OFF
BoatEngineRemoval009.jpg

TIME TO CLEAN OUT THE BILGE AREA
BoatEngineRemoval006.jpg

captmello

Captain

If the drive is binding when tilting up then I would remove the pins. There is a plastic bushing that the pin goes through that allows the drive to pivot. See the link #72.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Intermediate-Housing-Dpa/dm/*******.374257486--**********.143166770--store_id.366--view_id.314173

If the drive pivots ok and there isn't any play, I'd leave it. You can always go back and fight it later if you're bored.:eek:
From the pics, it looks to me like the pin could be driven in without hitting anything. Maybe that is an option???? The slot is for turning the pin to line up the locking bolt slot.

Just replace the ujoints, not the whole assembly.

You cheated with the forklift!!

07-26-08_1741.jpg
[/IMG]

While you have the upper off, pull the hose off the intake water fitting on top of the intermediate. Those fitting corrode away and cause overheating issues.

Intermediatehoseconnectioncorrosion.jpg
[/IMG]

Also make sure you get the vibration damper off the old flywheel. You'll need that.:)

You will also want to replace the bearings in the flywheel cover while you've got it all taken apart.

I would suggest starting new threads for specific tasks. You'll get better responses to your specific questions. It doesn't matter if you've got more than one thread going at a time. Just make sure you have the necessary info in each thread regarding make, model,etc so people don't have to have read previous posts to give help.

Great pics BTW, Those really help us see what your doing. Even though it doesn't matter, how about a pic of the whole boat just for the heck of it.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

here in the salt pond I have never PULLED a pin on any 270,275,280,290 or any DP swedish drives.
its simply not gonna happen.
however if the lower trim pins are removed and the suspension fork pin retaining bolts are removed I can turn the steering hard port or stbd and with oxy\acetylyne and a modified air chiesel bit used as a punch me and the heat and the air chisel we can normally drive the pin in with no issues.
however unless the swivel pin bearings are damaged or the suspension fork bushings are damaged there is not much reason to remove them.
Volvo makes a tool that easily removes the tube gear and lower bearing box assy, its worth it weight in gold.
you will need some special tools to correctly install the tube gear seals and the bearing box seals to the correct depth.
kinda like the section in the manual to remove the trim cyl anchor pin fron the transom assy, it simply wont work in the salt pond.
if your going to draw seawater through the lower unit then carefully check the orings?seals at the top AND bottom of the swivel tube.
your water most likly came past a bad seal and washer assy on the input shaft yoke.
both the seal and the sealing washer and oring need inspection.
you will need a few jigs and a press along with a new crush sleeve and bolt for reassembly.
along with a dial type inch pounds torque wrench,works better than the string and spring scale method.
be careful when drilling the retainer pin bolt,most are helicoils and can snap drill bits.
Volvo does like them heli coils and so do I :).
your hull looks like an older 24 albemarle,is it?

gsrsol84mm

Seaman Apprentice

OK, we are going to leave the hinge pins alone. The drive moves up and down ok and is smooth. Just have to drill the hole out for the hinge retaining bolt and insert a helicoil and new bolt. Yes, we already killed one drill bit

Will check the water intake fitting but it is not critical as someone installed a thru hull water intake for the cooling pump and the intake is blocked in the back of the outdrive.

Removed the U-Joints today and the part of the top gear that holds the u-joint shaft. Want to try and see where the seal is for the u-joint shaft going in the top gear head. Hopefully we haven't take too much apart yet that will require new shims. We have kept the shims with each item on the workbench.

HOW DO YOU REPLACE THE BEARINGS IN THE FLYWHEEL COVER ? Will start a new thread. THE Shaft seems very tight in the cover with NO side to side and NO front to back movement. Turns smoothly as well.

U-JOINTS HOUSING - SURFACE RUST MOSTLY - NO REAL PITTING
DP-AOutdriveU-JointRemoval001.jpg

U-JOINTS REMOVED
DP-AOutdriveU-JointRemoval005.jpg

PULLED PART OF THE TOP GEAR HEAD APART TO TRY AND REPLACE THE U-JOINT SHAFT SEALS
DP-AOutdriveU-JointRemoval004.jpg

DP-AOutdriveU-JointRemoval006.jpg

gsrsol84mm

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, I had actually printed out the manual and put it in a nice flat folding binder with the plastic insert pages. Looks like I may have missed a few pages when printing it off. Will double check tomorrow. :eek: