Volvo Penta 2001 Reverse Gear Oil cooler blockage

BruceNH

Recruit
The seawater cooled collar appears totally blocked by mineral deposits (left unused for a year). Suggestions for clearing this out have included a weak acid but I wonder whether this cooling function is ONLY for reversing or is it needed for the gear box/engine when engaging forward? The basis of the Q is whether I can simply bypass the blocked collar and take the seawater from the intake hull fitting directly to the water pump.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta 2001 Reverse Gear Oil cooler blockage

The basis of the Q is whether I can simply bypass the blocked collar and take the seawater from the intake hull fitting directly to the water pump.

No you can't bypass it. It would overheat, no matter what it is. That is why the cooler is there.

Without knowing what reverse gear you have, it's an almost impossible question to answer in regards to repair. Model or SN of the gear, or possibly the engine serial number will help find out what you have.

BruceNH

Recruit

Thanks Don. The engine model is 2001 R. The gear box appears to be MS2B-R:A. I do not have the serial number of the engine - I am not near the boat at present.
Yours
Bruce

BruceNH

Recruit

Don,
Cleared the blockage with a fine wire. Appears that some plastic/rubber (?) became stuck in the pump and mineral 'mud' built up around it and in the lines. Washed out cooler and lines and there is now good water flow to the impeller.
Thanks
Bruce