Power Steering cooler drain on volvo penta 4.3

synergy141

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1993 volvo penta 430 B engine with a SP-C outdrive. I have drained the block, manifolds and changed all fluids but Im not sure how to drain the powersteering cooler everyone is talking about. Where is it located and how do I drain it?

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Power Steering cooler drain on volvo penta 4.3

Ayuh,... I'm not sure Where Volvo hides the P/S Cooler,,,
It's Usually mounted In the In-coming waterline from the drive, usually under or behind the motor...
Most don't have Drains, so either end Big hose has to be popped off...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You should find the cooler behind and slightly aft of the port/front motor mount. I just pull the hose off of one end as Bondo mentions.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You can't go wrong pullin hoses

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

On my 5.0GL its located near the rear of the intake manifold and very hard to see without a flashlight. It is oriented across the boat like the transom.

The owners manual says to remove both hoses from the raw water pump (make a note how they are connected) and crank but don't start the engine a couple of revolutions. Since the raw water pump is lower than the cooler this should drain it.

You can get an owners manual from the Volvo Penta website and Don S has most of the Service Manuals available in the Adults Only sticky here:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2360521#post2360521

I would follow those manuals.