1992 Volvo 4.3/volvo Penta Outdrive-possible Blown Head Gasket???

smithgun2009

Cadet
I had a sudden loss of power and RPM drop--engine oil blew out thru crankcase vents and went to bilge. Refilled oil and still not enough power to plane out boat. Ran engine on trailer with flush kit and found water coming from exhaust outlet-(280-290 model I think with exhuast thru outlet port and not prop hub, my first time with this type system). Only had boat about 2 months but had no water that I noticed coming from exhaust port when flushing from salt water trip. Usually on auto engines this is an sign of head problems as well as over pressure in crankcase caused by blow by on valve stems. Thanks for any info before starting pulling things apart.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1992 Volvo 4.3/volvo Penta Outdrive-possible Blown Head Gasket???

I highly doubt you have head gasket problems, and forget about comparing it to automotive. Automotive doesn't have water cooled exhaust.
When was the last time the raw water pump impeller was replaced. Is it possible you lost power due to an overheat?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

The last time I head somthing like that it was caused by a lean condition at WOT that burned a hole in the piston.Do a compression test and let us know the results

smithgun2009

Cadet

not sure about water pump, only had boat abt 2 months. If overheated could it have ruined valve stem guides and caused over-pressure of crankcase? Will do comp. check in a day or two and post results.

thanks for the info. very new at this!!

45Auto

Commander

Only had boat about 2 months but had no water that I noticed coming from exhaust port when flushing from salt water trip.

So exactly where WAS the water coming from when you were flushing the engine after the salt water trip?????

The water goes in through the outdrive, circulates through the engine, and comes out through the exhaust .........

Sounds like your water pump impellor isn't working and you fried the motor.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Usually on auto engines this is an sign of head problems as well as over pressure in crankcase caused by blow by on valve stems./QUOTE]

Pressure in the crankcase is more likely caused by piston rings. Pressure in the combustion chamber is only present while both valves are closed. If both valves are closed, the condition of the valve guides are meaningless.

Maclin

Admiral

I also strongly recommend compression check as Boat Dr mentioned, it will tell you where to start with troubleshooting.