Volvo Engine Drain Plugs and Lower Unit Debris?

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm winterizing my Volvo 5.0GL-D and SX outdrive. The engine has two drain plugs on the block (one on each side) and one on the rear of each exhaust manifold. There are larger brass plugs that thread into the cast iron and smaller brass plugs that thread into the larger plugs.

To drain the block and manifolds, do I need to remove the larger plugs or only the smaller ones? When I removed the smaller ones a fair amount of water came out, and on the manifolds it was noticeably rust colored does this sound normal?

If I understand the manual, I should also remove both hoses from the raw water pump on the front of the engine, and turn the engine over (not start it) a couple of revolutions to remove water from the pump. It would appear this would also drain the power steering cooler that is located near the rear of the intake manifold. Correct?

When I drained the lower unit oil there was no water present but I did see some debris. There was very fine particles that appeared to be suspended in the oil and a very small amount of what I would describe as small metal flakes. The drive seemed to work fine this summer and shifts into forward very smoothly, shifting into reverse is much harder however. Does this sound normal?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo Engine Drain Plugs and Lower Unit Debris?

When draining the block:remove the plugs and use a small screwdriver and poke it in the hole.It will loosen any rust particals same as the manifolds.
I always removed them (one at a time)and ran the motor.Then used the screwdriver.
The liquid in the hose:loosen the hoses and pour antifreeze in them and then turn the motor over.
The fine particles in the drive are ok. Big chunks aren't.J

Last edited:

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess its ok to just remove the small plugs then and leave the big ones threaded into the cast iron block and manifolds installed?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

To drain the manifolds, just remove the hose that comes from the thermostat housing.

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

To drain the manifolds, just remove the hose that comes from the thermostat housing.

Bruce: Is that better or easier than removing the plugs? I always worry I'm going to over tighten a hose clamp (chronic problem).

The rest of my procedure in post 1 seem ok as far as removing the hoses from the raw water pump to drain it and the power steering cooler?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Both ways work.If you remove the plugs make sure you replace them after you drain them.If you don't replace them you might not get them back in.
I remove the plugs then flush with antifreeze thru the hose.J