Another Volvo 280 reverse issue.

capitan72

Cadet
Ive got a Volvo AQ280 and the reverse won't lock. I have taken the locking tabs (spring hooks) out and cleaned them up lithium greased everything, everything moves smoothly. The problem seems to be that the locking mechanism wont completely engage the crossbar, its about 1/4" short. I tried backing the nut off of the push rod but that didnt seem to help. The bottom line is the pushrod is keeping the latch from completely engaging. Should I just bend it a little? I think that may solve my problem. Also the tabs seem worn but I don't think that is the major issue.

Thanks

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Another Volvo 280 reverse issue.

Might be a long shot but the shaft pins need to be backed out 1/8 turn if they were tightened up. If they're not loosened up, the pawls won't catch. Don't ask how I know :rolleyes:.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

I tried backing the nut off of the push rod but that didnt seem to help.

I am not sure if I understand this statement the way you meant it, but backing off the nut at the top of the thrust rod won't help. The thrust rod SLEEVE needs to be turned also. The nut is just used as a locking stop. Lower the nut down the rod (toward the ground) and the lower the sleeve.

What happens often is the reverse kickup gets tripped for some reason (hitting bottom) and the drive comes up and slams back down. It bends, usually MASHES the sleeve. If that sleeve is not perfectly straight it will hang up inside the yoke.

Personally I am convinced this mechanism was invented by satan himself. It works great when it's setup properly, but when it's not...

M

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Sometimes the push rod housing gets corroded or the soft aluninum get smushed and restricts the travel.Without free travel it won't operate correctly.
I installed hundreds of those drives and we drilled out the first 1/4" of the top.
If the locking pauls have any wear at all they won't hold either.If the springs are weak or have gunk on them they won't work right.Post some pics of all the parts.J

captmello

Captain

Also confirm that the lift mechanism is retacting all the way and not holding the rod down when the drive is down all the way. As stated before, there are a lot of variables to check.