Volvo Duo Prop to Mercruiser Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

21cuddy

Cadet
I recently bought a 91 Stingray with a volvo duo prop on it that is locked up. I have an extra mercruiser alpha gen 1, is there a way to make this conversion without a transom modification?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Duo Prop to Mercruiser Conversion

Nope. The hole in the transom is bigger for the Volvo than the Mercruiser.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... That would be a disappointing step Backwards anyways....

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not backwards - VP is better....

21cuddy

Cadet

Thanks for the insight, I had heard of a few conversion kits on the market and wondered if there was one for this application. I am concerned that the repair on the volvo will cost more than a conversion kit. Any opinions or ideas what might be wrong with the drive and repair costs? It is locked in gear and won't disengage, its not the shift cable linkage, it's mechanical. Any help is appreciated.

erikgreen

Captain

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to post a note here in case someone finds this who has the same question.

There are, in fact, conversion plates available for doing a VP to Mercruiser conversion... basically they're sandwiches that bolt into the VP hole and provide the bolt holes the mercruiser needs.

If your transom is in good shape it's an easy way to convert it. Although if it's in anything but perfect shape it makes more sense to just rebuild it I think, unless you're doing a temporary conversion for some reason?

I'd provide a link here, but I don't have one handy. But I have seen these for sale in a couple places.

No comment on the VP vs. Merc argument...

Erik

captainmanno

Recruit

please tell me where to find this adapter as I have searched with no luck!!!
I want to go from the Volvo DP to a merc. bravo3!!! I don't think it's possible without filling some of the transom hole. please prove me wrong!!!!!!!!
captainmanno

erikgreen

Captain

Well, first, the other posters that said not to go from the Volvo to the Merc are right... the Volvo is a much better drive. Why exactly do you want to go to the B3? You have one already someone gave you?

There is NO way to just attach a Bravo drive to a VP transom.. you CAN remove the VP transom and change the hole size, then install the full Bravo transom.

Here's a link to the adapter plate... note that this ONLY adapts the transom hole (saves you from a transom rebuild), you'd still need the complete Bravo transom setup (bell housing, inner/outer plate, trim cylinders, pump, electricals, etc) plus some custom hardware or at least a different flywheel cover to make the B3 work with the Volvo engine.

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/mm5/merc...oduct_Code=MER827691A1&Store_Code=eBasicPower

In short... putting a B3 on the Volvo engine will be a lot of work and money to get a drive that's not as good (handles less HP, won't last as long, is harder to work on) as a volvo DP on the boat.

Erik

thb17

Recruit

I am also considering converting my Volvo Penta DPS outdrive to a Bravo III. I have only 700 hours on the DPS and had major problems.. The slide sleeve "cone" had to be replace after 150 hrs operation. Volvo would not honor warranty even though it was only 30 days out of warranty. The slide sleeve has failed again after 550 hrs operation. Also major corrosion problem on the unit eventhough the anodes have been replaced evry 50 hrs. If I do the 2nd sliding sleeve replace ment and have the outdrive painted, I will have over $2000 in the outdrive and it has only a total of 700 hrs on it. I have also had problems with the Volovo D3 engine. The oil cooler failed after 200 hrs operation. Again a major cost to clean the cooling system and replace the oil cooler.
Last Volvo Penta I'll ever purchase.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

And Welcome aboard....

What you're suggesting will cost you a fortune... and probably NOT be worth it...

I "feel your pain" but it's best that you post a new thread instead of resurrecting old ones....

You also keep the Moderators off your back!

Cheers,

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.