Procedural question on ignition timing, 99 Volvo 5.0GL PWTR

Status
Not open for further replies.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander
Hello,

I'm just getting everything into perfect tune...service manual procedures for setting ignition timing basically says warm it up, make sure choke is wide open, set the idle speed, hook up the light, and compare to specs, which should be 8 BTDC at 600 rpm. I will be using an accurate shop tach.

My question: Is this OK to do on muffs in the driveway? Or must the outdrive be submerged for this timing check to be accurate?

Service manual does not specify...though I know in the fuel section they do specify that idle speed must be set with boat IN the water and IN gear. But what about timing? Would be much more convenient to do this at home in the drive...but I'd rather it be perfect than convenient...

Thanks.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Procedural question on ignition timing, 99 Volvo 5.0GL PWTR

No problem doing it at home. The distributor has no idea if you are in the water :)

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks. Just making sure.

I know I have had water seemingly cause a touch of additional exhaust backpressure or something? It does seem to change idle speed...I do know most boats I have owned will idle a tiny bit faster out of the water than when in the water.

But I guess if I need to set that idle at 600 for a timing test regardless of where I'm at, then my timing will be established at that exact idle speed, huh?

Make sense. Thanks again.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You need it set at idle so the advance is not hitting yet. I am not sure what distributor you have but you need to make sure you are setting this in base timing mode if required.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

It's Prestolite BID according to manual.

The best I can tell from reading service manual, there is no need to do anything to set it to base mode...which I do understand and have done in the past with a Mercruiser that has electronic advance in another boat I own.

Please advise if I'm missing something, but with this ignition it seems I do not need to do anything but set the idle and hook up a light.

Thanks again.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

What is the model of your engine/drive and are you looking at the manual for that exact model?

In a 99 boat it could be "BY" or "WT". Volvo doesn't go by year. Of course the same distributor could be in multiple models.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

He has a WT, it's in the title.
550 to 650 idle rpm, 5? BTDC at idle rpm, with 86-88 octane fuel. 10? BTDC with 89 or higher.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Uh oh...now I'm more confused. Don, in the following link you gave me service manuals for my specific motor which I downloaded:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=352155

And in that service manual, my specs show timing should be set at 600 rpm, for 3 BTDC on 86 octane, and 8 BTDC on 89 octane.

Don, where did you get your specs, as they differ from what is in the service manual you gave me for my motor?

Not sure which I should set mine to as they are 2 degrees different...

Thanks.

Don S

And in that service manual, my specs show timing should be set at 600 rpm, for 3 BTDC on 86 octane, and 8 BTDC on 89 octane.

Don't make me search every manual for 3?, give me a manual number and page number.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

My bad...

I got my info from the Ignition/Fuel manual 3850077. Page 6-15.

If there has been a supplemental update or other info that is more current that this info, I would obviously be interested.

Thanks again.

Don S

Ok, that's an advance curve, not how and where to set the timing.
Use the engine manual 3850076 and under tuneup specs you will find the settings. Look at page 1-38.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Ahhhhh...now I SEE...says the blind man...

I was looking in totally the wrong manual! As usual, you are correct, sir. Those pages show me 10 BTDC at 550 to 650 rpm assuming I keep my octane above 89...

I am really glad I asked this question before checking/changing the timing.

Thank you yet again for setting me straight!

Blowinup

Seaman Apprentice

Uh oh...now I'm more confused. Don, in the following link you gave me service manuals for my specific motor which I downloaded:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=352155

Don, where did you get your specs, as they differ from what is in the service manual you gave me for my motor?

Not sure which I should set mine to as they are 2 degrees different...

Thanks.

I know this is an old thread but I it came up when I searched for timing specs for my 5.0 GL. Boy I sure would love to get that manual since I have the exact same engine. I've been flying blind with tidbits I can find here and there.

I clicked on the link but it took me to a conversation titled 'LH or RH Prop on my inboard?' with no service manual to be found.

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.