volvo sx trim cylinder leak

gellison

Recruit
we have a 2001 volvo penta engine with an SX outdrive. While out yesterday i noticed white oil leaking from the cylinder on both tilt cylinders of the outdrive. I checked the reservoir for the pump and its obviously got water in it as the entire fluid amount in the pump is white/creamy.

what does it take to bleed the system? is that possible anyways... and if so how would i find the leak? I'm hoping this doesn't take a trip to the boat shop as boating season is coming to a quick end around here.

any thoughts on remedies are greatly appreciated:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo sx trim cylinder leak

If oil is leaking out of the cylinders, then you pretty much know where the water is getting in at. They will either have to be resealed or replaced. Depending on the model & SN of your outdrive.
The system is self bleeding. About all you can do is remove the cylinders, operate by hand to get as much oil out as possible, blow out all the lines, remove the pump and remove the reservoir and clean it out. Then put it back together with new ATF oil. And finish the season. It will get water in it again and may just damage the pump, But they are only 5 or 600 bucks.

gellison

Recruit
Re: volvo sx trim cylinder leak

how would I remove the cylinders? I assume the outdrive does not need to be removed to do this repair...? Any idea how much this may cost to have a marine mechanic repair?