Where is the Volvo rev limiter located?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jberenyi

Seaman Apprentice
Rev limiter, speed limiter, race guard....its all the same. My Volvo Penta part number for my AQ290 (AQ271C engine) is 855484. I would love to know where it is most likely located. I follow the wires coming off the coil but it goes into a wrapped jacket of wires and I can't follow it anymore. Would it be on the engine, transom, etc.?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Where is the Volvo rev limiter located?

IF you have one, they usually get mounted on the transom. It's a black box with 3 wires coming out of it that go to the coil. (Purple, Gray, Black).
Usually, when they fail, they get removed, not replaced.

captmello

Captain

Rev limiter, speed limiter, race guard....its all the same. My Volvo Penta part number for my AQ290 (AQ271C engine) is 855484. I would love to know where it is most likely located. I follow the wires coming off the coil but it goes into a wrapped jacket of wires and I can't follow it anymore. Would it be on the engine, transom, etc.?

Try to follow the grey wires from the coil. One goes to the tach through the main wiring harness, the other would go to the limiter.

FYI, it may be helpfull if you changed your signature to say AQ271C, not AQ290. Assuming you've got a 290 outdrive. There are also 290A outdrives.:)
AQ290's were same engine but not the same components and specs.;)

Good luck!!

jberenyi

Seaman Apprentice

Try to follow the grey wires from the coil. One goes to the tach through the main wiring harness, the other would go to the limiter.

FYI, it may be helpfull if you changed your signature to say AQ271C, not AQ290. Assuming you've got a 290 outdrive. There are also 290A outdrives.:)
AQ290's were same engine but not the same components and specs.;)

Good luck!!

I found it. Thanks. As far as signature goes...I updated it before you said anything. Bizzare. My engine is an AQ271C and the outdrive is an AQ290.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Not that bizzare, the AQ290 is just the syle of drive, has nothing to do with engine, Started as AQ100, then 200, 250, 270, 275, 280, 285, 290, then they went to different system of drive ID.

jberenyi

Seaman Apprentice

Not that bizzare, the AQ290 is just the syle of drive, has nothing to do with engine, Started as AQ100, then 200, 250, 270, 275, 280, 285, 290, then they went to different system of drive ID.

I meant bizarre that I thought to update my profile before someone else mentioned to do so...LOL

captmello

Captain

Right Don, I guess when I see AQ290 I think of the 290 HP engine not outdrive. But thats just me.:rolleyes:

Seems weird they would have engine and outdrive models with the same name.

Are you going to remove the rev limiter?

jberenyi

Seaman Apprentice

Are you going to remove the rev limiter?

Yep. I think its on the fritz causing my tach to do weird things. I'm taking the boat out tomorrow to see how she performs without it.

jberenyi

Seaman Apprentice

Found the limiter and disconnected it last week. The boat runs perfectly at about 4400 RPM with the 4-blade Solas Stainless prop. She does 42 MPH now instead of 38 MPH. I'm glad I disconnected the thing.

gnbrian

Recruit
So how important is it to have a rev limiter? I would think it needs to be there?

Status
Not open for further replies.