Volvo 270 drain plug is stuck

Peter1950

Seaman Apprentice
Want to change the outdrive oil. I've been trying to get the drain plug off and can't. Tried an impact hand hammer thing with screw driver tip, tried a piece of angle iron with an adjustable wrench. I'd rather not use heat as I just painted the drive a few weeks ago! Suggestions welcome!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo 270 drain plug is stuck

Sound like you have one with the drain plug directy in front of the skeg. I don't know why they make them selves so tight. Short of taking the drive off so you can get a solid hit on the impact screwdriver with a PROPERLY sized bit in it, you might use a screwdriver like a punch. Put the blade in the end of the slot and hit it. Works about 95% of the time. Make sure you are going the right direction.

Peter1950

Seaman Apprentice

Maybe Heat on the drive itself. Think I can get it hot enought without ruining the new paint? OR, making the plug cold with freeze spray? Will try that first as it seems safest. Yes I was sure the impact hammer was turning the right way.
Just got back from running the boat a few hours on the lake and was hoping it would be warm when I returned but it wasn't. Tried again with an L shaped screwdriver and just snapped the tip off. Any other way to get the oil out short of flipping the boat upside down?

minnow44

Cadet

TRY a "LITTLE BIT OF HEAT" from a hair dryer...on the housing around the plug, NOT on the plug. A hair dryer usually does not produce enough heat to blister your paint. It will take time, maybe lots of time, for the heat to spread into the housing metal enough to expand the diameter of the threads enough to loosen the plug.

If all else fails....an extreme reality of using a drill and an 'Easy OUT" may be your only solution...using extra care to not get metal shavings into the housing cavity. GO SMALL and SLOW, Very SLOW..... or even better have a PRO machine shop do it for you if you have any doubts at all.

Best of Luck and Skill to you.

Minnow

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Do not attempt to drill this out yet. I would get in there with lots of heat before I did something like that.

Peter1950

Seaman Apprentice

Update: SUCCESS!
Finally got it off using a combination of heat from a propane torch at a distance so not the ruin the paint but still make it hot, some 'freeze-off' spray to cool the plug, and a drift on the side of the screw slot in the direction to twist it. Finally came loose. Changed the oil and orings etc. Can't want to try it now. Hoping that shifting will be smoother.
Some hints on changing the oil on this drive to those who are interested. The dipstick port is tiny and the testing level can fool you. Photos avail.